Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bambii_x

How Long Does It Take For Scales To Grow Back?

7 posts in this topic

I have had this sarrasa comet for about 6months or so. its missing about 15 scales that seem to have never grown back.. or have a hard time growing back. I figured that the fish maybe lost all of the scales from the other fish it lives with but i am unsure. the fish doesnt appear to behave sick and its growing big and fast, but the scales that are missing do not seem to be replacing themselves. how long on average sdoes it take for a missing scale to be replaced?

After six months, I'd say your fish is just missing scales permanently. I have heard of "invisible scales", but have gotten no confirmation on their existance or lack thereof. I'd do research if I was less lazy.

I have a goldie who looked pretty bullied when I took it home, but in just a day or two, its fins healed. I'm not sure how much longer it takes scales to heal than fins, but I'd say your fish's scales are probably not going to grow back, at this point.

When my fish have lost there scales it normally takes about a month or two for them to come back, I agree they could be non colored scales, some fish have this in there genes. When a fish looses a scale it will never come back in the same color :o

its just strange.. all of the other fishes in the tank that lost scales, have grown theirs back.. this fish however just seems like.. once it looses its scale.. its gone for ever.. or it grows a very thin clear-like scale.. but it doesnt color in. the fish is all white with a red spot on its head

When my fish have lost there scales it normally takes about a month or two for them to come back, I agree they could be non colored scales, some fish have this in there genes. When a fish looses a scale it will never come back in the same color :o

Good to know as I was worried that Quasi his lost scales do not seam to come back. So far it is less than a month :unsure:

I think it is more noticable on white fish. My Common is white (he can be VERY rambunctious) he always has missing scales. I looked closely at his orange tankmates & see that they seem to be missing one or two but I hag to look really good to see them.

its kind of sad.. my fish is getting to be a big fish .. just doesnt look that great with 15 missing scales.. i still love it tho :)