Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest Christo7

Whats The Differences In Chinese, Japanese & Thai Ranchu

2 posts in this topic

I been getting into my ranchu goldfish recently and consequently been browsing around looking at information about Ranchus and alike etc.

Anyway what are the main differences between the 3 different origins of Ranchu: Chinese, Japanese, Thai. I believe Thai ones feature more defined head growth plus big cheek growth, and Japanese ones are more elongated and also feature cheek growth. Not sure about Chinese ones but I would like to know more because private sellers in the Uk are charging different prices for different countries of origin of they're Ranchus. I'm certain its not due to exchange rates or unit prices of each fish etc.

I think in the UK and guessing US we probably see more Japanese ones minus the cheek growth because they have very big eyes and are typical to the ones I've seen of Japan. In fact here is a Japanese youtube video of Japan Ranchus. They look extremly similar to mine.

If anyone knows or has any idea please let me know.

Chris

Several hundred years ago the japanese got some lionhead like fish from the chinese and over time developed the ranchu. A true ranch is a fish to be viewed from the top. They only come in red and white, yellow, or white. No calico or black fish are allowed. For many years there are very touch competitions in which top fish are shown in shallow bowls. The top fish can be sold for several thousand of dollars. This is before the age of aquariums. Once aquariums became a hobby more and more people started viewing their fish from the side. In addition other countries such as china and thailand began breeding ranchu fish to be viewed from the side. These fish tend to be rounder, with more curve of the spine (tail tuck) and in the case of the chinese, very large head growths (wen) In addition chinese and thai breeders are also devleoping calico, blue, and black colored fish. The japanese and some thai breeders still develop the ranchu to be viewed from above but many more focus on fish to be viewed from the side. If you would look at a top view ranchu from the side you would see a much longer fish with a very compact head growth, There are many people calling ranchu either top view or side view but in reality there is only ranchu and that is fish coming out of japan or thailand that are to be viewed from above. Fish coming out china (being called side view ranchu) is really some hybrid fish, probably with a lot of lionhead influence and a shorter more compact body. They are beautiful in their own right but not ranchu. This is a very simplified example, hope it helps