Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jen626

What Holds The Aquarium Glass Together?

6 posts in this topic

OK, I know there is silicone sealant in the cracks, but is there something else like glue holding the aquarium together? I am concerned because we are removing the old sealant from my new tank, and I am worried that if he removes all the sealant at once that the tank will be unstable and fall apart. But it won't, right? The frame or something will hold it together until it is resealed? Of course I am not talking about having water in it, just empty while he is working on removing hte old stuff.

Also, this is a 90 gallon tank with the piece of glass in the middle that provides the center support. He wants to re-seal that too, do you think that would be safe?

Thanks, I know I am being very paranoid!

The sealant that is sandwiched between the pieces of glass is what holds the tank together. This works because the sealant adheres strongly to the glass, and when it's in such a thin layer it acts like glue. The rest of the sealant (the stuff you'll be removing) is mostly to prevent leaks.

The top and bottom frame will hold the glass in place. I am not sure about the center support but if it was sealed with silicone before than I would assume it would be ok. It's not like the manufacuturer had some magical super silicone for that center. Isnt usually the center support part of the frame? Do you have pictures of the progress so far?

I understand that you're worried! As long as you scrape all the old silicone off cleanly and add new silicone and let it cure, you shouldn't have a problem. The tank has the plastic frame around the top and bottom, right? That will keep it all together while you're working.

You can use a razor blade to scrape off all the old stuff. And just make sure the silicone you got says aquarium or waterproof. I've always used the All Glass one, but I also have one by Loctite sitting next to me, and it's for indoor/outdoor use.

How's that resealing thing going?

Thanks to everyone for the advice. It is going well so far, just slow. Hubby has been working a lot lately, but he comes home and works on it every night. I know I could probably do it myself, but he really want to and would probably be do a much better job! Plus he has longer arms, I can't even reach the bottom of the tank! The old seal is all off and everything is cleaned and dried. Today we will put the new seal on and start letting it cure. Maybe Friday I will do some water tests and see how it goes! I can't wait to play musical fish!