Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
stubadub

My Fish Keeps Eating Air After Feeding

10 posts in this topic

I have a ryukin that will sit at the top of the tank and injest a TON of air after it's morning feeding.This results in the fish being stuck at the top of the tank for the rest of the day gobbling more air. I have tried to stop feeding while this has occured and the fish will right itself again but the second I start to feed again, he's stuck at the top again. What should I do? I have tried to adjust to sinking food but it does not deter the fish from going to the top after.

What sinking food are you using? The pellets you use may have air in them and you need to soak them first before feeding.

I suggest using sinkink pellets... swallowing a lot of air can be harmful and cause diseases like Swim Bladder.

I suggest using sinkink pellets... swallowing a lot of air can be harmful and cause diseases like Swim Bladder.

Did you read his post?

there maybe something else going on. what are your ammonia, pH, nitrite, and nitrate readings? does he have any other symptoms?

ph is 7.8 nitrite is 0 and nitrate is below 5 ppm. There are no other signs of distress or disease. I am not using sinking pellets but I will start this weekend. The consumption of air starts in the morning and she floats for three quarters of the day and by night time, she is back to normal swimming around.

Alright. I think I may know what's going on here. You fish is doing the same thing mine used to do. But first I will ask how much aeration is in the tank, how big is the tank, and how big is your ryukin? Feeding sinking pellets to avoid air comsumption won't do much good if she's just gobbling up air after eating anyway. Your problem is probably that she isn't getting enough oxygen and when eating fish need extra air. The bottom sitting could mean a couple of things. When she's bottom sitting is she wedged underneath something? If she is, she's probably trying to keep herself from floating. But if she's not, she could very well be constipated. Peas help, but in sometimes they do not. Peas do nothing for my fish, so I feed him brocolli and it does wonders. Also a little epsom salt is a good thing. 1/4 teaspoon per 10 gallons should do the trick. Just don't mix aquarium salt with it. Deadly combination. I hope this helps!

As far as the oxegyn in the tank, I have the same aerators that are in the picture of your fish and there are two of them. Tank size is 50 gal with only two fish. "ms. pacman" is about 3.5 inches in length. She is the ryukin and my black moor is slightly longer. I think the peas are starting to work. she is not 100% back to normal but almost there. I just added these air stones and think i might switch back if you think that they are not getting enough air. thanks for your input.

Well, they should have enough oxygen if there are only 2 fish in a 50 gallon. Try the bubble wall again. I switched to one that had more holes in it. I still say try some epsom salt and see if that does anything. It won't hurt them.

Piping at the top is often indicative of a gill problem - the fish is trying to get more air.

Given your parameters and the large size of your tank I would direct your attention to the possibility of flukes. Have you ever treated the fish with Prazi? If not, I would do so as soon as you can. You can order it online from the Goldfish Connection or one of the other suppliers. This is a good thing to do as a preventative as most fish do carry these parasites.

Otherwise your fish may be reacting to the commercial food you are using - I have a fish who gets floaty whenever I offer pellets rather than vegie/gel food.