Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest Neesan

Weird String Comming Out Of Goldfish

20 posts in this topic

Hi I am noobi

My one goldfish(fantail) is about one and a half years old.

I have three others in the tank plus a lionhead.

They are all about 5cm long.

I have a fairly big tank about 40liters.

The water temp is 23 degrees celcius/ 74 F.

I did a water change about 5 days ago.

I added Aqua Safe to the water and Gill,Fungus parasite special as well.

The one I mentioned first is sluggish and hanging at the bottom a lot.

She is not eating (spits out food)

There is a clear 5cm string comming out of her anus, there has been one before this one as well.

She started acting like this before the water change.

She is slightly bigger than the other three fantails.

I don't know what to do and I'm scared that she'll die.

Here is a photo :

IMG_1782.jpg

:welcome

A helper will be along in a moment to try and figure what is up with your fish, but could you just clarify how many fish you have? When you said '3 others plus lionhead' did you mean that one of the 3 is a lionhead or you actually have 4 other fish? Making the total 5? And are you sure you meant 40 litres and not 40 gallons? :blink:

Please add what your filtration is and how long has the current tank been running.

Need water parameters..ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH and kH if possible too.

Hi Neesan, and Welcome to Koko's! :)

I'm sorry that your fish isn't doing well.

You have 4 fish total, correct? You had said she is slightly larger than the other three. A fish tank of 40 liters is 10.5 US gallons. This is much too small for four fish. Goldfish are large waste producers, and need a lot of water to help dissipate the waste, as well as the bacterias that can develop in such small spaces. A small space will also stunt the growth of a fish. The outside of the fish stops growing, but the inside continues to grow, giving the fish a painful life.

Fish also LOVE to swim, and are much happier if they have the room to freely move around. If you do have a 40 liter tank, please consider upgrading to a larger tank to give your fish a happier life.

If you can't get a larger tank at this time, a very large Rubbermaid plastic container would be a wonderful way to temporarily house them until you can get one. :)

Spitting out food is usually a good sign of gill flukes. But we need a better idea of what's going on with your tank, so could you give us the readings for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH?

The white string from your fish can mean different things. What do you feed your goldfish? Please try to answer ALL of the questions in the white box at the top of the page. It's really most helpful. :)

If you don't have a test kit, most local pet stores that sell fish will usually test a sample of your tank water for free.

You should do a very large (100%) water change in your tank (or 2 50% changes), and do a 50% change every day to keep the bacteria and waste levels in your tank to a minimum.

Most fish illnesses are from poor water quality. Give them good clean water and see how well they'll improve. :)

Best of luck with your fish!

Debbie

Thanks for the quick reply!

I have 5 fishes: 4 fantails + 1 lionhead

I recaculted the tank size with math this time, and it is about 50 liters(13.2 Gallons) big. It is a really big tank, I can't see it being too small??. It's a half circle shape, with a height of 60cm (23 inches) and a width of 46 cm (18 inches). Here is a picture:

IMG_1784.jpg

I don't have a water testing kit, it is a bit too exspensive, but I should probably get one. The tank has been running for about 7 months.

I feed my fish "Marltons" goldfish flakes. The other fish don't have weird strings comming out of them and are pooping normally.

The filter is a external filter.

She is still spitting out the food...

Edited by Neesan

Hi there.

Fantails need 10 gallon and single tailed 20 gallon each to stay healthy and grow.

I suggest you buy a test kit as soon as possible!

White stringy poo could be bacterial.

I am no expert on diseases or medication though, I hope Imogen comes soon!

I recaculted the tank size with math this time, and it is about 50 liters(13.2 Gallons) big. It is a really big tank, I can't see it being too small??.

Believe it or not, yes that is much too small. Don't feel bad, most members on this board started out with small, overstocked tanks because pet store workers told us it was ok :(

Fancy goldfish produce LOTS of waste, for your 5 fish you actually need a 50 gallon tank. But there are a couple of things you could do until you can get a larger tank, like doing very frequent, very large water changes and you can buy a big rubbermade container and keep the fish in there. It doesn't look too pretty but it gives them lots of water :)

Neesan, welcome to kokos :exactly . Don't feel hounded. No-one is being judgemental here. Your tank is beautiful, it is just over stocked which allows diseases to set in faster.

It looks like your fish is just doing a long thin poop. The spitting out of food is more serious at the moment.

Because of the space issues you really need to be doing water changes every day (or at least every second day) at 50% to keep the water free of pathogens. I presume you are cycled at 7 months but water test kits for ammonia and nitrites and nitrates as well as pH are a very important and necessary investment for fishkeepers, when you get a chance...

One important Q for you. Have you recently added any of the fish? You say the one who seems sick has been with you one year and a half -how about the others? Knowing this will help eliminate several problems...one of which is flukes brought in by new fish but can affect the old fish worst. Please post back soon about this :)

The four gold ones are all the same age. The lionhead was added about 3months ago. Before I cleaned my tank one of my snails died (i didn't notice till later) and made a sort of black brown fungus on my plants, I cleaned this when I cleaned my whole tank about 5 days ago. About the size of the tank : My book recommends a 60-80L tank for 5 fishes, is this correct?

Yes that is correct. Well, Fantails apparently should have 20 gal per fish. Commons can do with 10. Although i have 2 commons and 1 oranda in a 30 gal tank. That stringy thing is kinda or normal for me, my fish get that sometimes every 2 or 3 monthes. The show no signs of disease or illness so i dont bother with it, should be fine!

According to the conversion page 10 gallons are about 40 L (depending on Gallon or Imperial Gallon).

So that would make 40L X 5 fish = 200L.

What country are you from?

About the size of the tank : My book recommends a 60-80L tank for 5 fishes, is this correct?

Well, just imagine your 5 fish are all grown up now. Each one is about 15-20 cm long. Do you think they'll be happy in an aquarium where they can only swim at most 3 times their body length?

It's not just space issues. Water volume also plays its part. If you got a small body of water, the waste released by your fishies will result in increased toxin levels, as opposed in a large aquarium where the toxins will be more diluted and less harmful to the fish.

1-and-a-half year-old and only 5 cm long? Sure sign of stunting.

In the end, your fish don't care if you put them in a beaten-up, old horse trough. All they care is that they got good water, swimming space, and good food.

Edited by d_golem

I'm from south africa. I'm actually thinking of buying another tank..I don't really know what to do; the people at the pet shop stuff their tanks with fishes and then I go thinking 5 fishes in my tank is fine and that there is more than enough space.. All selution I can see is buying another tank and putting other fishes in this one I currently have. ?I had no idea fan tails could grow to 10-15cm?

I had no idea fan tails could grow to 10-15cm?

Easily. Mine is about 21-22 cm. 25 cm is not uncommon. This oranda below was over 40 cm long when he died.

recordgoldfish.jpg

Pet shops can afford to stuff their tanks because they keep selling fish and have high turnover rate. Most petshop has one or several gigantic filters for their tanks so they can afford to overcrowd a bit.

If you can get another tank then it's best. I don't know whether your fish will grow again after being in such small space for a long period of time though. I feel we as the owners are obliged to provide the best possible living conditions for them.

If you can get another tank then it's best. I don't know whether your fish will grow again after being in such small space for a long period of time though. I feel we as the owners are obliged to provide the best possible living conditions for them.

They will start to grow again. I saved my fish from a way to small and way to dirty little pond. I have them now for 5 months and all of them have grown a lot (from 0.5 cm for the tiny ones to almost 1 cm for the bigger ones). Even my Godzilla who is 3-4 years old has grown a bit. Just give them good water and enough space, they will probably never become huge but they will grow bigger :D

She died today. But I feel that I did all I could to save her. :(

Now I have 4 goldfish in the 50 L tank, is this OK? Or are more of them going to die? I am going to buy a water testing kit tomorrow and give you guys a update on the water condition. Thanx for all the replis and the help.

BTW : Wow that big goldfish is awesome!

Edited by Neesan

Oh I am so sorry about your little fishie. She must have had some disease then.

Good luck with the others, and it's good that you're going to buy test kits!

Neesan, after looking reaaally closely on your picture of your fantail, I can see that the scales are pineconing and her eye looks to be popping out, which means that your fantail was showing signs of dropsy, which is bacterial/viral infection that is caused by poor conditions, and is often fatal.

What you can do now is do a large waterchange as it's likely that whatever made ur fantail sick is affecting the others as well. 50L for 4 fish is still frightfully overcrowded, they need 40L each.

How is your waterchange regime? How many times & how much water do you usually change?

Tested water

NO3: 25mg

NO2 : 0 mg

GH: < 3

KH : 0

Ph: 6.4 - 6.8