Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jamisskat

*lion Fish*

25 posts in this topic

This is my Lion Fish who Iv'e had now for about 4 months.. I know everything about them and yes I know they are dangerous(LOL).. I believe these species are very beautiful and if properly gave attention they are very friendly ive noticed my lion has become friendly towards me when feeding or cleaning the tank walls.. he's very curious but yet Im ALWAYS cautious.. anyways enjoy the pics..

This photo he was checking me out(LOL).. he seems to always come to where im at even next to the computer he just sits there and stares.. wonder what he's thinking??

http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x38/jew...LIESPICS025.jpg

This photo was after he ate his fresh krill..

http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x38/jew...LIESPICS037.jpg

thanks for viewing.. Id love to add anyone to my friends who has these fish.. they are simply amazing! :heart

That is a really kewl fish. Very pretty. How many fish do you have all together?

salt or fresh?(LOL)

lol oo well i have about 12 pondies... 3 goldies in side.. 3 platies including mom.. 1 guppy in a 30g.. and 1 lion and 1 damsel... not to many fish get along with the lion.. hes already killed my other damsel :( the other one just keeps it's distance everynow and then the damsel goes after the lion's food but the lion just chasses him off.

Wow, hes a beauty. i see them at my lfs alot, and man, they arent cheap thats for sure. Any other pictures of your other saltwater fish?

sure i'll take a pic of the damsel real fast.. thats the only one left... that lived from the lion..

yes the glass needs attention!!(LOL) i need to scrape been lazy lately.. plus hubby doesnt want me cleaning unless hes watching cuz of the lion.

heres a pic of the tank when the glass is clean.. its a 55gallon

http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x38/jew...7_03/011_11.jpg

Edited by jewels

heres a pic of the tank when the glass is clean.. its a 55gallon

That's really nice. You must be one very busy lady with all those fish babies to care for. It's sweet that your DH wants to keep an eye on you around your ferocious lion too. :yeah:

Beautiful damsel! Sorry your other wasnt so lucky :(

Nice looking tank too. Do you have an eel in there too? Or is that just some spotted coral? :krazy:

You have a beauty of a Lionfish :exactly I would be proud to have such a beauty too :)

Beautiful damsel! Sorry your other wasnt so lucky :(

Nice looking tank too. Do you have an eel in there too? Or is that just some spotted coral? :krazy:

OOO thats was my panther grouper I had.. I was going to end up finding a home cuz he wouldve got too big for that tank.. unfortunatly, the lion stuck him and to this day I feel really bad still. so i did alot of researching and found alot of info on these fish and I think today I know enough to keep em.. but, as mean as he sounds he's really sweet he has his own feeding scheldule comes to me when he's hungry.. :rolleyes:

Wow, beautiful fish! I love the lionfish. Hes very pretty.

better not touch him :P

lol yeah that I know.. :exactly

So why are Lion Fish dangerous exactly? Sorry, I have seen them before, but never really knew what they were or anything about them! :unsure: He is beautiful!

So why are Lion Fish dangerous exactly? Sorry, I have seen them before, but never really knew what they were or anything about them! :unsure: He is beautiful!

Well their top fins and side fins carry toxins... they use this to protect and also in the wild they kill or paralize their pray.. they say if you are allergic that it can cause death.. but most likely.. it can cause a nice hospital stay... Lionfish are indeed very pretty and there are differant kinds.. the dwarf lion's are much smaller and their color is differant.. my lion will get pretty big.. I may in the future get a bigger tank dunno yet.. but for now he's ok..

Edited by jewels

Wow! Thanks for the explanantion Jewels!!!!

cute! I saw one at a fishstore, they r so cool when u see them in person. Its cute how they swim. How big do they get? The one in the petstore was about 7 inches long.

Hey Jules,

Just thought I would post this. I watched a program last night on Animal Planet called "The Big Stings" and there was a man on there that was stung by his lionfish. He is also the head of the Poison Control Center in his area. He said that the best thing to do IF you are ever stung by a lionfish is to place your hand in a bucket of hot water, as hot as you can stand. He says that the hot water kills the toxins and helps them leak out of the skin. He was fine after a few hours, but he said that it was VERY PAINFUL for about 3 hours or so. Just thought you might want to know this, JUST IN CASE! LOL! Btw, he got stung while cleaning his tank. He said his wife will no longer let him clean the tank and he has had to hire a professional to do it now. Just a bit of info!

I watched that last night, too!!! I have been stung by a dwarf lion and let me tell you, it's NOT fun. I immediately ran and put my hand under very hot water, and I think that really helped my finger from getting too swollen. I was bagging up the lion for a customer and it just grazed my hand, and still did damage that way!

Jewels, just so you know, that other damsel is likely very very stressed from trying to avoid that lion. It's just a matter of time till he becomes a meal, also. When lions refused to eat, we sometimes had to feed them live damsels to keep them alive. Anything smaller than the lion risks being eaten, including inverts.

Regardless, volitans are just beautiful fish. They make a great showpiece fish in a tank. :)

I read an article in my magazine about marine fish that can sting u and it said that lion fish stings are really painful. They are so beautiful though and I would to own one, I will for sure in the future when my mom cant stop me from having more tank lol

Hey Jules,

Just thought I would post this. I watched a program last night on Animal Planet called "The Big Stings" and there was a man on there that was stung by his lionfish. He is also the head of the Poison Control Center in his area. He said that the best thing to do IF you are ever stung by a lionfish is to place your hand in a bucket of hot water, as hot as you can stand. He says that the hot water kills the toxins and helps them leak out of the skin. He was fine after a few hours, but he said that it was VERY PAINFUL for about 3 hours or so. Just thought you might want to know this, JUST IN CASE! LOL! Btw, he got stung while cleaning his tank. He said his wife will no longer let him clean the tank and he has had to hire a professional to do it now. Just a bit of info!

i watch that too

i hope that will no happen to you

yes this is why IM not allowed to clean the tank without the hubby around.. he's very worried about the fish.. my lion has seemed to become fond of me hand feeding him but i surely will never trust him..