Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
lillypetal

Broken Tail Fin Help

7 posts in this topic

Hey..i really have to make this short because i have lots of really important exams starting tomorrow...but my goldfish has broken her tail fin..its really distressing..shes just lying on the bottom on her side... :( i dont know what to do..she wont eat and i cant stop crying please please help

Just to expand..yesterday she was swimming about real fast and i think she may have done it then..i actually am in shock..basically its as if part of her double fin is snapped and on its hinges kind of...(shes a nice big fat oranda) i know shes going to die..because shes not eaten and looks in a bad way.. :( never will i buy a fish again ever.

oh btw..my tank is in the middle of cycling because of a massive crash in their 10gallon tank and planaria and all sorts of problems..we moved her to her 5gallon tank temporarily and she was due to move back again today, but now i dont think thats going to happen because how do we move a fish with a broken tail :( dont wanna make it worse..my poor baby.x

Edited by lillypetal

If the tank is cycling, what are your current parameters?

I'm a bit concerned about the erratic swimming - what made her do this? She must have hit something with force to cause a break in her tail. So please look to your water first, it really needs to be perfect and then post back some more details ie.

- how long have you had her?

- any new fish added recently? new plants?

- and some water parameters

If she broke her tail, this shouldn't kill her - which is why i'm trying to figure out if there's an underlying cause.

Please post back soon :)

Thanx Jen..umm well I'll have to do a watertest later on today because I don't have the kit with me at the moment my friend borrowed it..I've had my big girl for about 1yr 3months..No new fish added recently..no new plants..water params ill get back to you on sorry..umm what else the only thing in their hospital tank at the moment is a filter and my other fish who can't actually swim - its been like this for months, we've done numerous things to help him tried numerous medicine, salts, all sorts, but he can't swim..he has always bin sick since we bought him..but im not worried about him at the moment..just my big girll...she looks like shes in distress at the bottom..shes breathing quite rapidly but her mouth isnt actually opening.. :(

thanku again, and il get back 2 u asap

Lillypetal- a picture would be really great. can you post a pic? When you say on one side- do you mean all the time? When was she last flashing or darting round the tank? Can you see any spots or streaks on her body?Is the only symptom rapid gill movement and side lieing with bent tail? I hope another Mod will come along soon and help you again but I think they'll need more info, esp about your water parems.

shes gone :(

I'm so sorry :(