Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
nichjake

Saw Some Neat Snails Today

12 posts in this topic

I was taking a look in the wonderful marine tanks at this really great pet shop near me and I noticed this really cool looking type of snail. The neatest thing about it was its foot. It looked like it had two feet and moved by moving one foot in front of the other, like people do except slimeing around in snail fashion. Just thought I'd share this neat little personal discovery :D

Was it a mexican turbo snail??? There foot looks like that!!!

Awww that would be so neat to see! What color was it?

Yep, sounds like turbos. They are really fun to watch and pretty fast, too!

It had a light colored foot and its shell was a mix of reddish browns and a cream color, it looked like a checkerboard but the checks were very small. I've got no idea what it was called, perhaps I can look around for a pic. :)

Wouldn't let me edit <_<

Went hunting for pics...you guys were right, its a turbo snail. Heres a pic of one that looks like the ones I saw. http://www.Not Allowed/Pictures/Profiles/TurboSnail3.jpg ...its the one in the background

They are such cool snails! I have wanted them for my marine tank but my starfish would make a meal of them. They do a great job cleaning, though. (Also my hermits just love their shells! My friend and I used to collect shells from the ones that died at work and I would give them to the hermies).

I'd love to see one walking like that. I'll have to start looking when I go in shops. Are the turbo snails marine only or can they be in freshwater so I'll know where to look?

I think they're just marine, at least thats the only type I saw there ;)

they are strictly Marine snails :D

Yep, just for the salties I am afraid...but they really do the job on algae...only problem is they can nock over lots of stuff....neat snail though....I have several!!!! :)