Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
PaNdeM0niuM

Aquarists From Australia - Lets Recommend Some Lfs

92 posts in this topic

Hi All,

I just spent the last 2 weekends driving around Brisbane's northern suburbs. Man is it hard to find good quality goldfish these days.

Can anyone recommend any good LFS for goldfish around Brisbane's north suburbs?

Also following up from my prev post, I went to aquarama last week, and they didn't have much stock of goldfish at all. I'm hoping they will get a delivery soon, i'll call them up tomorrow and see if they are expecting anything.

any feedback about LFS would be great,

thx

sod

Hey sod

yep I agree...importing has made it hard and goldfish of good quality are hard to find.I have started breeding ranchu and fantail as I think we might need to cover it ourselves like they do in China,Japan and Thailand.But Annerley aquarium(Coorparoo),Pet city(Mt.Gravatt)have them on odd occasions....grab them when you can I say!

hey aussie members! what's doing? any goldfish shows anywhere? melbourne has nudda! nor do we have goldfish clubs! wish we did, i'd love to show some of my fish :( anyone had a goldfish show in your state/area?

Goldfish shows here? Fat chance . I'm going to Singapore's Aquarama 2011, (end of May). I'm still able to buy quality svr here in WA. All fishies come from China via the Eastern States. I guess if you like to have a particular variety, you have to make friends with your lfs. Just pay them a visit every week and ask for the same thing and also say your friends are looking for them too. if you can generate enough interest, I'm sure he will appreciate the business.:)

i thought so.. can't hurt to ask though.. we're so close to the breeders over there, you'd think they'd make a bit of a deal about it here though :( no fair

i thought so.. can't hurt to ask though.. we're so close to the breeders over there, you'd think they'd make a bit of a deal about it here though :( no fair

I was at my lfs yesterday filling up my supplies and I noticed there were heaps of very good quality ryukins, fantails, red caps orandas etc... but don't have my type :( (svrs). The boss told me he is not importing anymore because of the high cost and drama with customs. Imported fish requires at least 28 days of quarantine. So he just gets his fish from eastern states through a broker. Looks like I've to breed my own to be on the safe side but what to do with those excess fries?.

see that's the thing.. i wanted to breed the fish too, just to gain experience, but other than hand the fry over to LFS, there's no real market for them here to sell. if you advertise to just give them away, you're scared as to who will rock up for the "freebie" that will most likely end up in a bowl :(

nah, i am thankful for now that i have my gorgeous collection thus far.. i will continue looking for another local pork chop or sir loyn.. or if another type all together tickles my fancy, but i will also need to invest in another tank as this one has met and exceeded it's full potential at the moment :)

There may be a market out there for certain varieties but the problem is our lfs is not prepared to stock them.(they want quick turnovers) So if you visit them each time and there is nothing to your liking then you 'll gradually loose interest. That's why I 've said before, talk to them and make friends. Not only you'll get your favourite fish but also a discount to go along too.:)

hey aussie members! what's doing? any goldfish shows anywhere? melbourne has nudda! nor do we have goldfish clubs! wish we did, i'd love to show some of my fish :( anyone had a goldfish show in your state/area?

Not goldfish, but we do have koi shows. I haven't been to any yet, but hopefully I'll be able to go sometime next year.

http://www.ksakoi.com/home/ is the organisation that runs it :)

I'm from Adelaide I've never seen any fish shows apart from the Royal Adelaide Show Fish section! Does anyone know the best LFS in Adelaide?

That Koi show could be something to check out...find alot of koi guys share tips/techniques with goldfish lovers as they have similar backgrounds and the Japanese have a strong love/culture for both these guys.I think its sad that we get the bum end of the fish in Australia.Our quarantine rules make it hard for fish importers and with all the costs the LFS only gets at the best middle range stock incase of losses during quarantine,etc.You look all through out Asia and the goldfish is big!I am looking at the markets in Singapore and Thailand and these guys are right into the top view ranchu now with japanese bloodlines.The thai guys have nice sideview and top view ranchu and tosakin is available.These good quality fish are still a bit fetchy as they are imported or strictly bred off japanese imports.I am so keen to breed top view ranchu and tosakin and its going to be a bit of work and pretty expensive I reckon.I am looking into importing right now some tosakin and good ranchu(both side and top views) and its going to cost me $1100 before I have even bought the fish!!! CRAZY!! And on that note does anyone have a cheaper importer available who wishes to help me out here(yes I am willing to pay!!.I am already breeding some nice sideview ranchu but am looking to improve the brood stock so we can get our own goldfish thing going without having to import all the time and also start getting some decent fish and at a local price!!!...

Hi I'm from tassie.....we don't have any good fancy goldfish suppliers here due to strict quarantine & bio security reasons. :madrant

OMG another Brisvegian!!!! WELCOME! biggrin.gif I don't think we've had another member from Brisbane here yet!

I live on the northside, but have been to the southside a couple of times. Pet City is ok but the prices of their fancy goldfish are just plain stupid, they are pretty good quality though. Prices on other stuff (filters/other animal stuff) is pretty good, I got my Rena Filstar XP2 from there for $120 with a FREE T-SHIRT! I always buy my parrot pellets from there (even though i probably spend more money in petrol getting there than i save tongue.gif ). I don't think there are any LFS on the northside that sell food/filters/equipment cheap at all... I usually buy that stuff online.

I'm so glad we've found another goldfish lover from brisbane smile.gif Lemme know if you find any awesome fish shops on the southside!

There is one i'm hunting though.. maybe you can help me out! There was an amazing fish shop in Chermside, owned by a really nice Chinese family, of course they had awesome imported goldies... They moved to the southside however and now I cant find them. I remember them telling me where they were moving (I vaguely remember rochedale but i've been there and theres only a pet shop thats been there for years), I then thought maybe they had moved to sunnybank (asian capital of brisbane) as their yellow pages ad looks very suspicious... Aquatic Blue

I went down Pinelands Rd 50 billion times and couldn't find it, I finally gave up.. maybe they are not there anymore? I'm phonophobic tongue.gif so i can't call them..

I am from the north side too! I don't think there are much 'great quality' aquarium shops in north brisbane, but there is one called aquarama aquariums in stafford! I just call them up, ask for what I want, and they send it! You should check it out!

hey aussie members! what's doing? any goldfish shows anywhere? melbourne has nudda! nor do we have goldfish clubs! wish we did, i'd love to show some of my fish sad.gif anyone had a goldfish show in your state/area?

I honestly would have thought melbourne out of all places would have fish shows! It just is so busy there and they have everything else from what I saw when I was there! Although when we were there I could not find one aquarium shop! Mustn't have looked in the right places!

hey aussie members! what's doing? any goldfish shows anywhere? melbourne has nudda! nor do we have goldfish clubs! wish we did, i'd love to show some of my fish sad.gif anyone had a goldfish show in your state/area?

I honestly would have thought melbourne out of all places would have fish shows! It just is so busy there and they have everything else from what I saw when I was there! Although when we were there I could not find one aquarium shop! Mustn't have looked in the right places!

plenty of fish shops. no shows :(

That sucks :( I always see plenty of bird shows and guinea pig shows, but no fish shows anywhere!

if you PM member Amber, she knows or can remember who organizes shows in QLD.. her family are breeders of koi in QLD. i cannot remember if she said they were only koi shows or if there were goldfish shown also. i think they also show bettas..

her koko user name is Amber

Oh ok, I will see if I can find her! That sounds really interesting! I have actually never seen koi in real life so even if there was a show I could go to would be a great experience!

Does anyone know of any python systems for cleaning in Brisbane or one I can purchase online in AUS? I am having such a hard time finding one! I would need quite a long tube to connect to the tap, but tubes are easy to get!