Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest Indiglo

Goldfish Eat Air At Top Of Tank

23 posts in this topic

Ok, this is getting SOOOO frustrating.

I have 3 goldies in a 29 gallon with 2 filters and a 16 inch (approx) bubblewall.

Two of my goldies, (1 a lot more than the other) spend a majority of the time at the top of the tank chewing at the air. I would almost always assume that this is a problem of not enough air in the tank, but with the 2 filters AND the huge bubble wall, this simply is not an option. Well, because they spend so much time eating the air at the top of the tank, they also spend a lot of time floating upside down at the top of the tank... This is really taking away from the look of my tank when my fish look like they are dead floating at the top =( .... So, does ANYONE know why my fishies are doing this, or how i can get them to stop....Oh, other information, i feed them pre-soaked sinking pro-gold pellets and i also do the whole fast for a day and feed peas once a week. Here is a pic of my tank so you can see the floating and the amount of air circulation that i have.... Thanks in advance for help.

http://www.birdnest.org/garmanm1/IMG_0810.JPG

Hi indiglo!! I love your tank and your fish are gorgeous!! If I were you I would post this in the disease discussion forum and answer all the questions at the top. There are really experienced people there and they are very thorough.

my guy sharky does that! he eats bubbles and then floats... i have a bare bottom tank (i knoticed you have little gravel also) and i have heard that they are scavanging for food at the top since theres nothing down below? i dunno.

I really don't know the cause either, but I have one who stays at the top like that most ALL of the time and floats around some and one who eats air sometimes but doesn't float. I had these 2 originally in a tall hex tank and I now have a rect tank with more fish who never suck air. So I don't know if it had something to do with the tank shape or if the one who is always doing it just doesn't have a great swim bladder? I know I was no help here (Sorry!). Just wanted you to know that you're not alone. :)

it sounds like swim bladder disease to me.

If all of the fish are up at the surface gulping air at once, it may be possible that there isn't enough air in the water? I'm not sure, since there are definitely other possible causes, but when I first saw my goldfish (my first ones, some years ago) do this, it was because the ammonia level in the tank was very high. It sounds like your tank is already established, but would you happen to have a test kit on hand? Maybe there is a clue in your tank parameters. If not, then at least that's one more thing to cross off of the list of possible causes :idont:)

:twocents

:bubbles

(edited to remove wordjumbles!)

Edited by EatBubbles

the fish is thinking the bubbles = food... cooked rice should stop this SBD.

some cory cats when the water quality is bad, they swim to the surface to gulp air so they can get clean oxygen.

From what I've been able to gather, there are three reasons (maybe four)..

1. They are expecting you to drop the food in the same place every day, so are pre-empting you, waiting for you to drop the food right in their mouths. Drop the food in away from wherever they are until they learn the food source is the bottom, not the surface.

2. Some food sediment remains floating on the surface, so they are basically 'licking the plate' clean. Nothing you can do to fix this. Some fish learn to do this, some don't. Adding boiled rice to their diet helps clear any swallowed air causing gas problems in their gut making them flip. Also adding algae wafers to their diet helps as well. A mechanical fix would be to heavily agitate the surface with a spray bar as goldfish don't like such turbulence and will move lower (but not if they're already flipped and can't get away from it!).

3. The fish have been raised in overcrowded pond farms where food pellets were just scattered across the surface where they all fought to get at the food otherwise they'd starve, so this is a chronic learned air-gulping behavioural problem which may never be cured and you'll end up with a permanently flipped fish eventually no matter what you do. Eating the algae present in the farm ponds helps them stop flipping just as algae wafers and /or rice in home tanks do.

4. After eating, gulping air can be a way of 'brushing their teeth' after a meal, but I think this is just a different interpretation of reason #2.

i heard somewhere they will gulp air when they have been fed too much to try to help the food pass through.. i dunno. mine do it sometimes. they know their food is uaully at the middle of the tank (i sink their food) put it in a cup of their water swoosh it around then i dump it all in.

The food at the surface makes sense. The one I have up there all the time was one of my 1st fish and I used to feed flakes that floated (before I knew better!). They get pro-gold sinking food now, but I think she is just going to stay this way

my goodness my fish do this all the time! it keeps me up at night too sometimes becuase the lapping gets soooooo loud! anyway i sort of fixed it by varying where i dropped the food in becuase i guess they were trying to anticipate where i was going to drop it? idk anyway it worked for me. and now i can sleep at night without having to listen to their lapping haha :D

My fishies were doing that as well. Found it peculiar so I searched around. And what I found was that he was also developing a whiteish coat and a deep redness underneath the white stuff. Turns out to be ammonia burn possibly with something else. The strange thing was was that the Ammonia level was perfect (as far as the test kit says) I lost all my fish. For over 6 years i have raised these beautiful fish to come to this.

Edited by Sniper214

Ammonia level should have been 0, or if you're cycling no higher then 1ppm. Sometimes people misunderstand the inserts with the test kits. They mention in there that during cycling ammonia levels can reach 6ppm. Indeed they can, but its not okay.

Those symptoms actually sound like a very serious pH crash, which could explain why the ammonia levels were still testing okay.

culd it also be not enough oxygen in the water?? is your tank completely covered??? i always think it's good to have oxygen available at the top aswell, i have about three inches open on my tops so there can be open air available to them as well, i have only once seen my gold bubble eye do this then two days after she had swimbladder, but she recovered quickly after no feeding for two days.

it's absolutely NOT a air problem, u can see in the attached pic (first post) that they have a lot of air in their tank........ i'mthinking it's the anticipation of food or maybe just habit?

I heard once a long time ago about flukes? Maybe? But they arent gulping for air (ive seen this when i vert first started keeping goldfish and was uninformed) they are just "eating" the air... it's almost like i'ts fun for them ..... it's their drug, ti's bad for them, they know it's bad for them, but they still do it and then get addicted..... =P i need to send my fish to rehab!

i think mine is sharky "licking the plate"... he does it hours before/after they have been fed, and he's the only one. then he floats...

this can easily lead to SBD, sink food for them or feed them cooked rice/peas regularly.

i feed them NOTHING BUT pre-soaked sinking pro-gold pellets.....

and occasional peas

ProGold and peas rules out the constipation type of floating, no? :unsure:

What are the tank's water parameters?

absolutely perfect params.......

only 2 of my 3 fish do it also..... =P

Quite a mystery........ i think they are just dumb fish

Silly babies!! :lol:

:fishtank