Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mailboxck

Philippines!

292 posts in this topic

Yes of course I can speak tagalog if you promise not to laugh at me:rofl

I was born in angeles city,pampanga and moved here after I graduated high school.I speak tagalog, kapampangan,english and japanese that sometimes I get all mixed up.

So,tell me about yourself...

I'm from Metro manila. I'm Chinese actually but born here naman. So no worries. I'm only 19 and started in the hobby last year. I got free feeders sa b-day party ng pamangkin ko. And it all went from there. Got 2 20g tanks in my room. Aliw naman ang goldfish. This is the only hobby I've gotten into that my mom likes. Nakikitingin din siya sa mga aquarium ko and naaliw din.

Si kamitoki taga pinas din. Di ko nga lang lam kung saan siya napunta kasi tagal na siya di nagpost. :)

I really love :heart your goldfish.The color is just great.How many GFs do you have?I myself have 7 GFs in a 55 gallon tank and I successfully bred them and got 4 frys in a 10 gallon tank.I'm definitely addicted to them!!!They are just so cute :wub:

Some of my fish

107-0779_AUT.jpg

I got 7 of them in 2 20gallon tanks. Overcrowed, yes. But am getting new tanks next year.

I haven't been able to breed mine but am still trying.

Nice looking fish. I love your telescope.

I had mine in a 15 gallon before I found this board!!I just recently updated

my tank to 55 gallons, thanks to everyone here.

Anyway,Merry Christmas to you and your family!I hope you have a great Christmas :yeah: see you around.

merry christmas to you too.

Lucky you! 55gallon? Wow.

so...how are you guys? got a new tiny red cap oranda!

Congratulations!!!He is one cute little fish :)

I hope you don't mind me asking but,how much do they sell GF in the Philippines? :unsure:

Hmm...we have really bad grades of goldfish here. If you want imported AAA grade ones from china, they sell from around 2 thousand to 10 thousand pesos each.

If you just buy from your neighborhood petshop, you can buy a 4 to 5 inch goldfish for around 100pesos. A tiny one will cost around 20 to 50 pesos.

Rare ones like black ranchus go for around 200pesos for a tiny one.

Hmm...we have really bad grades of goldfish here. If you want imported AAA grade ones from china, they sell from around 2 thousand to 10 thousand pesos each.

That sounds like a lot of money :o The most pricey fish I bought is a tri color oranda which costs 2,000 yen.I really do love all of your fish! :) The colors are great and they look very healthy to me.How big is your ranchu?

Yeah...i can't afford those beautiful ones. But the ones in our local pet shops aren't that bad. i bought marbles, the pic of the week right now for around 120pesos. YOu do the math.

Got eggs yesterday. When should it hatch?

They should be hatching within 3~7 days.Did you take out the unfertilized eggs?Because they may end up spoiling your fertilized eggs because fungus will grow on them.

Congratulations!! you are now a proud grand daddy :rofl or future grand daddy

I placed them in separate containers but am not done yet. Am afraid that i might kill my babies. The unfertile ones are the white ones right?

Yes white ones are unfertilized.I'm sure by now you could see black eyes inside your eggs and if you look closely you could actually see them wiggling inside :)

Will you be able to get some fry food there?They don't start feeding until after another 2~3 days after hatching but I think you better get some just in case.I am so excited for you :D I still remember how happy and then again anxious I was when I first got some eggs.Anyway good luck!!!If there is anything you need to know,just ask away :)

Hey! They hatched! Amazing! My only concern now is that why do they stop wiggling. They wiggle a bit then just lye on the bottom for hours. Am always worried because they might die. What should i do? Is this normal? They're so small that i could hardly see them.

It's okay coz that is a natural behaviour.They won't start eating until they are free swimming so for now the only thing you could do is just wait.At this point,they're either sticking to the side of your tank or at the bottom.They swim like crazy when you accidently kick on the tank though :rofl

When you see them free swimming and poking at the bottom of the tank looking for food,that is when you start feeding them.They are slow eaters so make sure they get enough food they could eat in 2 hours.After that,you have to take out the excess food that is lying on the bottom of the tank coz this will spoil your water.

Were you able to get baby brine shrimp?

I have hundreds of ranchu frys hatched about a month ago and they are now about 1/2" long. For newly hatched gf, they will not eat until they are about 3-4 days old or when they fully consumed the egg yolk in their belly. After that you can feed them with crushed hard boiled egg yolk for about a week and when they go slightly bigger, you can feed them with baby brine shrimp. I wasn't so lucky as we cannot get brine shrimp. I fed them with daphnia for about a week and you can really see them grow..it is amazing how fast they grow. After that I fed them crushed dry pellets (Tetra food) and tubitex live worms. Be careful not to over feed them as some of my frys died I think due to over feeding with live worms. The gf just munch all the way. :lol:

Good luck and hope your frys will get a good home. How many frys did you get?

Edited by ranchu_man

Hi ranchu man :)

What are you planning to do with all your frys :huh: Are you going to sell them?I would love to see pics of ranchu frys.I'm sure they're the cutest fish :D I have 2 month old frys(ryukin & telescope)about 2 cm big but only 4 survived.

here's a pic :)

107-0799_AUT.jpg

sorry it's too big :(

Edited by coyote ugly

I can get a small amount of brine shrimp here for around 50cents US. So you do the math. It's placed in a camera film container and is good enough for a couple of days. The only prob is that i don't have any more containers to hatch them in so i bought micro baby food instead. The very finely crushed ones for fry. I've got around 50 fry now and some are still hatching at this moment. Hopefully a lot will survive.

The powder food should be fine but some frys are way too small to fit it in their mouths so you may want to consider the egg yolk ranchu man mentioned above. :D

Oh ok. I'll do that first. When shall i start feeding them? Some would swim for a couple of seconds. I bet they'd be free swimming by tomorrow. Sadly, I won't get home til 6pm tomorrow evening. Will it be ok if i feed them in the morning and feed them when i get home? Or would it be better if i had someone to feed them at lunchtime.

Cathy, I really do not kow what to do with so many frys. I will probably give it away to friends and to the lfs for free so they can find a home for them. All my frys are kept in a 70litres fully cycled tank. This tank is 1 week old as I start breeding them in my daughter's small bath tub!! It still hold about 50 frys. This tub was OK when the frys were small at about 1 month old but the ammonia level shot up when all the frys get bigger. I have to immediately get hold of this bigger tank and transfer about 60% of the frys to the new tank.

I will try to post some pictures of the frys and most of them have BIG tummies..I think over eating. It is best to feed live food to frys as they grows faster and healthier. Feeding them with dry process food is OK but might lead to swim bladder disorder later in life (this is what the community says).. Egg yolk is still the best to make them grow a little bigger before feeding them with powder feed but egg yolk fouls the water and creats a lot of fungus. You have to remove the excessive yolk daily to keep the water clean or else you will see a lot of "cotton" stuff at the tank bottom. I only have to boil 1 egg for the entire frys and enoght to feed them for 10 days!!. Just boil an egg, let cool and remove the yolk. Crush them and place it into a small plastic container and place it in a freezer. This will keep the yolk fresh. When feeding, just add a few drops of water and mix the yolk in a small dish and just drip it into the tank..that easy.. Hope this helps.

Edited by ranchu_man

I think you better be sure they are free swimming before feeding them.Because if you put food and they don't eat it,it will most likely spoil your water :) Just a precaution though.

Ranchu Man,

You are so lucky to have many that survived.I had all my friends and sisters waiting in line for my babies to grow and it turned out that with only 4 frys I will be keeping them all for myself :D