Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
LittleShadow

Snail food list?

4 posts in this topic

Hello!  I was just curious what a good snail food list is.  The one at the top of the forum no longer exists.  I have bought some algae wafers for the time being, as I've read around and seen a lot of people use those (except my fish keep eating them >.<), or the timed released feeders.  So far I've seen lettuce and spinach, cuttlebone (where on earth would I get that?), eggshells (I'm afraid the fish would choke themselves on that), and that's about it.  Are there any staple 'snail food' kits around?  I've never seen any in any of the pet stores that I've been in recently.  I also know that you guys don't tend to like hollow ornaments, but I was also wondering about getting a tiny 'cave' ornament or betta leaf, or something , for me to put the snail food into so the fish don't get to it.  The reason I'm asking, is because we were completely cleaning out the aquarium to make it non planted, and when we had gotten it cleaned out, I noticed SEVERAL different cracks in the bottom, that also had hairline cracks extending out from them!    :yikes:thudSeeing that we live in an apartment that otherwise allows no pets, except goldfish (it says so on the lease just like that lol), I didn't want to run the risk of the whole thing exploding and souring our landlord's acceptance of any sort of pets, so we ended up going all the way out and buying a completely brand new 55 gal.  Now we have no plants, no algae, and just algae wafers for our poor snails, that the gf keep eating.  

I know nobodies posted anything back yet, but just wanted to let you all know that I feel like I figured out a pretty ingeniously simple solution to keep the goldies out of the snail food!  I was grocery shopping and we happened to go down the bathroom stuff aisle, and I noticed a clear plastic soap holder with suction cups.  It has some holes in the bottom so I just have to make sure the wafers are too big to go through, as I'm keeping it up towards the surface so they can't swim into it.  It's been in there a couple of hours now, and I've seen at least one snail in there, with all 4 of the small wafers gone and the larger one gone as well :nana.   

https://www.amazon.com/LDR-168-1540-Exquisite-Suction/dp/B00NBMHSZY/ref=pd_sim_201_9?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B00NBMHSZY&pd_rd_r=D8TGRY7Y0C4HPE94VN7N&pd_rd_w=36o2b&pd_rd_wg=mNm0J&psc=1&refRID=D8TGRY7Y0C4HPE94VN7N

Hey that is a nifty idea hun :thumbs: 

When I fed my snails, I would drop some wafers in right before bed when the lights in the tank were already turned off for a while and the room was dark, by then the fish were asleep and the snails could forage for food during the night un interrupted. Mine like the "Hikari bottom feeder Sinking Wafers" and the "Omega One Veggie Rounds" the best. My snails loved baby spinach leaves, cucumber slices, and zucchini slices held on to the side of the tank by a fish veggie clip. You can get cuttlebones from the pet bird section of the store.