Hidr

The new nano reef

47 posts in this topic

Still has a long ways to go. Ordered some more mushrooms.  They are taking way to long to split.

IMG_0565_zpsyacyi1d4.jpg

Its coming along nicely Angie.

Its coming along nicely Angie.

Thank you

Very pretty :)

Very pretty :)

Thank you.  Think I have about decided no more fish just the two clowns.  Maybe a couple more emerald crabs and some sort of shrimp.   But the last couple shrimp I tried didn't even survive a couple days.

Edited by Hidr

If I may be so bold - a seller by the name of AquaticArtsTM has sold me some nice invertebrates when other sellers failed. They have their own website and they also sell on Amazon. Maybe you could give them a try for a shrimp?

Thanks Ill look into that.  I am looking for saltwater inverts not freshwater.  

Edited by Hidr

Inverts like shrimp tend not to do so well when your levels are off.  (calcium, alk, magnesium, etc...) 
I don't know about where you are, but a lot of LFS keep the specific gravity of their tanks quite low in comparison to what we have them at, in the house, perhaps the shock of a new home did them in? 
If you're feeling brave, you can use a razor blade and slice your mushrooms in half ;)  just give it some time, and youll be wishing you never bought mushrooms!

One of my favourite shrooms is the green fuzzy mushroom (2 varietys, 1 green with brown tips, 1 brown with green tips) they get so large, so they add some nice colour to a large amount of area when their happy.  I had some that would get past 12" when they expanded all the way. 

Are you into Green Star Polyps?  That would add some nice colour and movement!  To keep it in check you can keep it on your sand and grow it like grass, or glue it to the back of your tank so its like a moving grass background. 

http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l88/Lolaandthecrowd/Fish%20Tank%20-%20SW/IMG_5029.jpg

http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l88/Lolaandthecrowd/Fish%20Tank%20-%20SW/20140418_180115.jpg

Funny you should say that. I did get one Green Star Polyp with 6 mushrooms.  Couple of my new mushrooms are the biggest I have ever had.  No clue on color yet only a couple look like the color I ordered the rest all look brown.  And one jumped off the frag already. I have had a couple do that before and show up other places so not to worried about it.  Ill see about new pictures tomorrow of the big mushroom.

Pictures.

IMG_0603_zpsctxvcpwq.jpg

IMG_0602_zpsfnz71bfw.jpg

IMG_0600_zpsq1hswnq9.jpg

IMG_0599_zpszaosg31e.jpg

IMG_0597_zps9vrz1fxe.jpg

IMG_0596_zpsxlvc9h2v.jpg

IMG_0595_zps4ohoqtdb.jpg

Beautiful!!!!

thank you

Oh nice hun :thumbs:

It has a long ways to go and I wish the rocks would get more color.  But looks much better then the smaller reef I tried.

Looks great, was that Flame hawkfish representative of the breed? I know absolutely zero about saltwater environments but that fish behaved like a guard dog. 

My next experiment is either a nano saltwater or 500 gallons of goldfish. If I go saltwater I'll be pulling your ear for advice.

Yes that was what they look like.  And they are expensive.  Right now I have talked myself out of anymore fish for that tank. I have two clowns.  They are doing fine.  But sure would like one more.  But not right now.

Update 34680576975_66760bcf59_k.jpgIMG_1625[1] by Angela Reeves, on Flickr

Beautiful!!!!

That is just an awesome tank hun :) 

Thanks . I just set it back up last month.  Corals were needing more room. lol  This time when they need more room Ill just have to frag them.

Tank looks fantastic! I've been on a big zoa/mushroom kick recently. 

I should probably get some pics of my nano uploaded onto here, now that I think about it.

12 hours ago, SynthHermit said:

Tank looks fantastic! I've been on a big zoa/mushroom kick recently. 

I should probably get some pics of my nano uploaded onto here, now that I think about it.

YEAH! :wa