mysterygirl

Mysterygirl's Floating-World

379 posts in this topic

Congrats on accomplishing a year :-) crazy to think that much time has past already. Halley sure has grown into a beautiful and vibrant goldie :-)

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Gorgeous!!!!!

Here is a video of the young 'uns: last season’s fry at about 8 and 9 months.

The largest teenager in the communal tank is YIFY and the big-boned girl on her own at the end is Pierogi. They are the fry of Shinto and Queen B. The smaller fry are a month and a half younger and have a Milli as their mom and Shinto (probably) as their dad.

It's getting close to the time I'll release them into the pond to swim with the adults, sniff. So here is a wistful video of them at the end of their stay inside.

The music is by Om Unit, the song is The Silence (feat Jinadu) I hope you enjoy it as much as I do.
Edited by mysterygirl

Beautiful! I love the tank, the fish (teenagers :rofl), and the music! :D

I found it! I was a little confused when I clicked on Blog on your profile and nothing came up!

I'm starting a true blog here, as opposed to this thread you're reading.

The topic is gel food and I documented my process with lots of photos. If you like looking at green fudge-like mush, you might enjoy it as much as my fish seem to.

GelFoodSetSm.jpg

SkeletorSquare.jpg
Skeletor's growing up. She's about 3 years old.

Last year's fry update: YIFY and Peirogi are have been in the pond for a month and are doing great. Their half-siblings the 5 guys, (Kracken, MicroFiche, Shashi, Kawaii and MagiCarp) will join them tomorrow.

Edited by mysterygirl

Skeletor is beautiful.

Thanks motherredcap. Actually, I think I was way off on guessing Skels age. I've only had her a year but after measuring her length ( 15cm ) she might not be even two years old yet.

A NEW FISH ARRIVING SOON

A friend asked me to adopt their fish "Goldie Hawn" tonight and I agreed after first taking a look. It’s a fish her son won at a fair 3 years ago. Goldie looked beautiful and healthy. And large.

"She's always hungry and likes to eat. And we feed her a lot."worriedFish.jpg

I'm slightly amused because I posted in the "are you overstocked" poll just 3 days ago that one of the few reasons I'd add a fish to my pond would be to help a friend out. Apparently the universe reads Koko's and got to work matching me up with someone whose goldfish needed a new home.

:rolleyes:

Edited by mysterygirl

I dropped by my friend's mom and picked up a water sample from Goldie's tank for analysis.

Her tank water

• temperature was 72.9
  • pH. 6.8 (!)
  • GH 9
  • KH 3 (!)
  • Ammonia 0
  • Nitrites 0

I almost didn't do a Nitrate test, as I never have had an issue with it, and it is a slight pain to do accurately. You have to REALLY shake bottle #2 in the API test kit and wait the full 5 minutes. But I'm so glad that I did. YIKES!
Nitrates were fire engine red. I tested again. Yep. I took a photo.

NitratesWeb.jpg

I was so concerned about the water quality that I decided at the last minute to bring her back home with me that same night.

Her keeper had been topping the evaporated tank with very low pH bottled water, but not doing water changes. Being a senior this was difficult for her and why her daughter had asked me to adopt Goldie in the first place. She had not been there long.

So without further ado, I present the goldfish "Goldie Hawn"

GoldieWeighs52g.jpg
She weighs 52 grams and is 4" or 10cm long

WhereAmIWeb.jpg
In the quarantine tank for a while as I bring the 6.8 pH up to the pond's 8.1.

About the QT: I used Prime and a bit of Fresh Trace to condition my tap water. The 10 gallon tank was already cycled from the fry. I had 20 baby snails growing in there, but they've all moved to the pond. I added 6ml of Stability over 2 days to jump start the bacteria, anticipating the higher Ammonia load.

I placed a shard of a small Medicated WonderShell in the tank - but she's been swiming solo for 3 years without plants or any live thing so I'm not as concerned as if I were getting her commercially.

The WonderShell treatment is for two reasons.

• because I want to increase the mineral content of the RO added to my 8.1 tap water. I mixed the two until the pH was 7.2, a jump I thought she could do from 6.8 while eliminatinge the high nitrates. Is it wise to eliminate nitrates so quickly? She seems okay.
  • And do a preventative for internal parasites. (Active ingredients in the medicated WonderShell are malachite green, acriflavin, copper sulfate, & methylene blue.)

And because I already had it and I'm impatient to get her in the pond and out of that tiny tank. :whistle DISCLAIMER: This is not the koko's standard approved QT procedure.

Goldie's has had a tough life - a feeder fish who became a fair goldfish and then the beloved pet of a new goldfish owner. She's a trooper, a survivor and deserves the fine retirement she'll enjoy. I'm having fun spoiling her with blood worms and brine shrimp, the pieces of which she's chasing around in the following video.

She has a nice fish personality, I like her already. She was so calm when I was weighing her, not freaking out.

If you'd like to see her swim around for a few seconds click HERE for a video.

Great story!!...congratulations on saving a beautiful fish!! :-)

Woo hoo look at that tail! A great thing you're doing, I wish you a happy QT

What a lovely fish :) She is going to be thrilled with all that swimming space in the pond! Can't wait to see her with the others! :goldfish:

Love reading this blog, your journey has been so interesting and well documented, and your pond, well, lets just say that I have massive pond envy!!

Fishy Haunted House

This is a video response to the thread "how do you enjoy your fish?".

I was playing a game of trust with them today, setting up a "fishy haunted house" where they had to do something scary in exchange for a treat. :scared

I later found them playing around in it long after the food was gone.

This is a four minute video of my fish swiming in a pond playing a game with me, so it's best if you have high speed link.

Edited by mysterygirl

Somebody else who was happy with the filter today was Queen B. who was face up at the mouth of the tubing attachment like a mermaid under a waterfall. She was positively playing in the strong water flow. I wish I could have filmed it.

Oh, okay. She wasn't playing....she was gulping down the midge larvae that grow in the bio filter! When I stop the flow to clean it and revert it back into the pond there is a waterfall of food so to speak. I'll be ready with my video camera next time.

GoldieHawn-Before-and-Afterweb.jpg

Amazing transformation, MG!

You can really see how providing her better conditions has had a great effect on her! She has grown into quite a beauty! :wub:

Amazing!

Her tail has about doubled! :o

The bloody streaks in her tail from nitrate poisoning are gone completely although she still has a slight blood blister that you can see on her tail on the left "before" picture. The discolored patches in her scales have cleared up, and her underbelly is now a bright white not a gray.

The sunshine and the color enhancing ingredients in the Hikari, Pro Gold and Repashy added to her gel food have really brightened and saturated her orange color.

Thanks for the kind words everyone. I love her, :wub: and I'm glad she seems to be thriving.

Edited by mysterygirl

She looks great!!!

Omg! Just Beautiful! You have done an astounding job with her :clapping:

Love reading your blog :) keep up the great job!!

Gill Curl or Genetics?

Goldie Hawn has gill curl from being kept in a bowl or a fair baggie far too long. Not enough room to turn, not enough oxygen, poor water conditions or all three. I’m posting this as a Before photo so we can check on her in a couple of years and compare.

If she had been treated better in the past I would have hoped that it is simply an expression of out-turned opercula. Our resident biologist Sharon has pointed out in a previous post that this is considered an attractive trait. I guess I still hope that. Her gills seem healthy to me so fingers crossed.

GolidieOtherSide.jpg

GolidieSide.jpg

Edited by mysterygirl

Meet the Fish : Cali

Our pond's urban swimmer, Cali

CaliDancing10.14.JPG

Cali is a girly girl. She’s often late for breakfast. I don’t know why:

perhaps she feels she has to put on her fishy-makeup before (compliments of Photoshop) making an appearance.

Caligirlyredo.jpg

I put some food aside until she shows up.

She gets along with everyone in the pond, and just goes with the flow. Her passion is urban dancing. Here are a couple of shots from her forthcoming music video for

She once auditioned for “So You Think You Can Swim” and is a fan of the show.

CaliDance1.JPGCaliBreakDancing2.JPG

Her name has nothing to do with the Indian destroyer Goddess Kali. Her friends call her Cali because she lives in California and is a Calico Shubunkin.

Cali1.20.14.JPG