Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Narny105

Bowls are Foes for Bettas, too

27 posts in this topic

I have to agree with everything you said. My betta is in a 5 gallon, and I wouldn't go smaller. I'd never keep him without a heater either. I remember my first bettas - kept in those little betta kits, a fake plant and some gravel and about 1-2 litres of cold water. No wonder they were so dull and inactive :( My betta is so bright and colourful, loves playing hide and seek in the plants and is very active. I really feel that 5 gallons + heated should be the bare minimum for bettas

very well said, Narny! couldn't have put it betta(!) myself.

Oh, uPun, iPun, and there's no wePun here! :rofl :rofl :rofl

Great job, Number 2. :)

:thumbs:

Oh, uPun, iPun, and there's no wePun here! :rofl :rofl :rofl

Great job, Number 2. :)

very punny.... :rofl

Edited by Narny105

Very well-said.

No fish should ever be kept in a bowl, let alone one that needs warm water and a lush environment like a betta.

thank you for the comments. I'm glad to have gotten a positive response so far!

Always wondered how much territory a male betta needs. How large would 1M be in an aquarium?.

Edited by Au-fish

Always wondered how much territory a male betta needs. How large would 1M be in an aquarium?.

depending on depth, quite large, so probably anywhere between 200-500L-

However as I said, captive environments, even in zoos, are often much smaller due to the fact that the animals resources are provided. The point of a home range is to establish grounds for where the animal can get all of it's resources, whereas their territory is often much smaller.

That being said, territory and home range sizes do vary depending on environment and available resources, so it's not necessarily a matter of how much territory a betta needs, it's more of a question of how much space is needed to provide a good enough environment- territory will form within and may be limited to a terracotta pot or a group of plants. So although it's roughly estimated that they occupy a range of around 1m square in their natural habitat (which of course will vary considerably depending on environment, resources, etc), 5 gallons is still enough space to provide the main essentials they need, plus enough space for good heating, filtration, and environmental enrichment :)

Edited by Narny105

Thank you for writing this Alex!!! I have always felt that bettas should not be kept in anything smaller than 5 gallons, and I don't think anyone can argue with that once they see how much betta love to explore bigger tanks!

Thank you for posting this, Alex. Both my males have an 11g to share with a divider. They both have great temperaments and I'm always on the hunt for new stimulation for them. I can't imagine how panicked the would be in a bowl... :cry

Once my 20g is empty, they'll both have even more space. :)

Edited by Chai

Awesome! thanks for writing this up Narny! :D

Wonderful article!

Until I got my current betta, who resides in a planted ten gallon, I thought bettas were really lethargic and kind of boring since I had kept them in small, unheated containers as a kid. It's amazing how perky and energetic they are in the proper environment! My current guy jets all over the tank and loves resting on the different plant leaves.

I think bettas, along with goldfish, are one of the fish people are most uninformed about. I wish pet stores would stop encouraging people to put them in half gallon containers and would put a sign near their betta display letting people know that bettas are tropical fish and need heaters.

That's a good idea. The little cups typically used to sell bettas are misleading to the average person.

I like seeing a longfinned male betta cruise across a tank, his fins flowing behind him like a rippling flag.

Unfortunately most pet stores are just as misinformed about bettas as many people are, so it's a huge chain effect. Some stores have fish keeping guides available for download on their sites, and simply emailing them with concerns and corrections will usually result in a change :)

Buying bettas only supports what you are against. Most are grown in pint whiskey bottle their entire life on the farm and then continue their life in small quarters.

With proper husbandry they can do very well in bowls. It's great to provide them with more space but they also want someone to fight, that's in their nature but not something you want to provide.

Edited by Ichthius

Buying bettas only supports what you are against. Most are grown in pint whiskey bottle their entire life on the farm and then continue their life in small quarters.

With proper husbandry they can do very well in bowls. It's great to provide them with more space but they also want someone to fight, that's in their nature but not something you want to provide.

With proper husbandry, yes, they can live in bowls just like goldfish can, but how do you justify them doing well in bowls? And no, it's not in their nature to fight, just as much as it's not in other territorial animals nature to fight. Fighting happens, but is and has always been one of the last resorts among flaring and chasing first. Flaring is not only a part of mental stimulation, but is also a part of maintaining muscle and form on bettas, and is what many show breeders will do. Obviously it's discouraged as a routine thing, but the occasional flare exercise is harmless and part of natural behaviour.

Having a nature purely of wanting to fight completely throws dominance hierarchies and territories out the window- they are, of course a form of social communication that reduces physical contact. To be more correct, it's in their nature to be solitary and territorial.

Buying bettas does support trades depending on where you buy them, and that's particularly the reason why I buy from my local importer. But I didn't mention in here supporting a trade, since many stores actually carry out great husbandry for their bettas. More importantly, this post concerns housing them when you get them, since that's ultimately what should change regardless of where you purchase them from.

Edited by Narny105

There is a pet store near me, that I really like. They do keep their bettas in the small tanks, but have a sign:
"Siamese Fighting Fish are tropical fish and require a heater. Our display tanks are heated. These are only a hotel until your fish goes to it's permanant home, this is not suitable as a permanent home. They require a tank big enough for a heater and filter"

Wonderful article!

Until I got my current betta, who resides in a planted ten gallon, I thought bettas were really lethargic and kind of boring since I had kept them in small, unheated containers as a kid. It's amazing how perky and energetic they are in the proper environment! My current guy jets all over the tank and loves resting on the different plant leaves.

I think bettas, along with goldfish, are one of the fish people are most uninformed about. I wish pet stores would stop encouraging people to put them in half gallon containers and would put a sign near their betta display letting people know that bettas are tropical fish and need heaters.

I very much agree with you! I used to think they were boring as well, until I seen them live in a proper tank. My bettas are so lively and are always swimming around and exploring and they dance like crazy when I come near the tank!

Yep I've noticed that ever since I've stuck to the 5gal or more rule my bettas are more vibrant, active and their tails aren't as clamped

It's amazing the difference

Wild bettas came from thailand and lived in very small mud puddles , they are very territorial fish and guard the small space they have , they were kept in small clay pots for hundreds of years in thailand, bettas dont need a huge space and yes they dp prefer to be in a small space that they can guard as their territory but not to small 5-10 litres would be what they were in , in the wild

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

They can live in a bowl. With a lot of water changes. I do every other day when I have one in a bowl even with it is planted. There are also heaters you can get for a bowl. Although if you keep your house warm enough in winter you wont need one. I have also used bubble stones in them but found most Betta's don't like that.

So yes I have to respectfully disagree.

Right now I have no Betta'a and my last two were in tanks not bowls. They did not live any longer then my others I kept in bowls.

Wild bettas came from thailand and lived in very small mud puddles , they are very territorial fish and guard the small space they have , they were kept in small clay pots for hundreds of years in thailand, bettas dont need a huge space and yes they dp prefer to be in a small space that they can guard as their territory but not to small 5-10 litres would be what they were in , in the wild

As someone who actually had seen bettas in the "wilds" of Vietnam (my grandparents farms), I can tell you that they most certainly do NOT live in 5-10 liters of space. This unfortunately is something people may have used to justify keeping bettas in equivalent spaces.

My uncle used to take me to catch them in our rice fields, and those were not little puddles. :)

I'm not saying that bettas cannot live in just that much water volume. I will leave that to the betta experts to decide. However, I just wanted to share my experience of these wild bettas. :)

As someone who actually had seen bettas in the "wilds" of Vietnam (my grandparents farms), I can tell you that they most certainly do NOT live in 5-10 liters of space. This unfortunately is something people may have used to justify keeping bettas in equivalent spaces.

My uncle used to take me to catch them in our rice fields, and those were not little puddles. :)

I'm not saying that bettas cannot live in just that much water volume. I will leave that to the betta experts to decide. However, I just wanted to share my experience of these wild bettas. :)

I thought this was a very neat story to share, and I wanted to thank you for sharing. :)