• * Nitrite Level (tank): 0
  • * Nitrate level (Tank): Between 0-5
  • * Ammonia Level (Tap):
  • * Nitrite Level (Tap)
  • * Nitrate level (Tap)
  • * Ph Level, (Tank) (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines): 6.4
  • * Ph Level, (Tap) (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines): 6.4
  • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? API drops
  • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? AquaTech 20-40, AquaTech 5-15, Tetra 20-40
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners? Prime
  • * Water temperature?
  • * How often do you change the water and how much? At least once weekly, sometimes twice.
  • * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? 6 days ago. 50-70%.
  • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 29 gallons, 4-5 months
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size? 2 fish, around 4-5 inches each (excluding tail)
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often? I alternate between TetraVeggie flakes, Cobalt flake food with probiotics, and a pellet food that I can't remember the name of.
  • * Any new fish added to the tank? No
  • * Any medications added to the tank? No
  • * List previous issues experienced (dropsy, SBD, etc.) Flukes around 4 months ago
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? Red spots on its belly
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? No
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment. Salt and Prazi Pro were used in this tank when they had flukes
  • * You can really help us to identify with the concern more accurately if you post some pictures and a short video.

I am in my last year of college so I am gone during the week but when I came home today I noticed that one of my goldfish has small, red spots on his belly. He did not have these last Sunday when I went back to school so they developed sometime between now and then but I can't be sure of the exact day. My dad feeds the fish and adds a dose of Prime to the tank during the week while I am gone and then I do water changes while I am home on the weekends. The fish is still swimming fine and his dorsal fin is up. He also has a healthy appetite so whatever it is probably hasn't gotten serious yet. I haven't noticed any red spots like this on the other goldfish, it's just the one.

I did notice that when he had flukes a few months ago he developed these spots as well. I added salt to the tank and within a couple days the spots were completely gone so I am assuming that the same treatment will be advised this time as well. I can't remember the exact dosage though and I thought I would make sure before I jump into anything. I do have metro-meds on hand if this develops into something worse. I would post a picture of the spots but my camera is at school. I looked around on the Internet and found a couple of pics that look like the spots on my goldfish though.

Here are the pics I found that looked the most like what he has:

http://www.myfishforum.com/attachments/gold-fish-forum/7777d1236338497-sick-ranchu-red-spot-skin-pls-help-img_5770.jpg

http://www.myfishforum.com/attachments/gold-fish-forum/7778d1236338497-sick-ranchu-red-spot-skin-pls-help-img_5771.jpg

Thanks for filling out the info.

Question while we wait for a mod--has the pH always been so low in your tank and tap? And if so, have you ever done anything to raise it?

Edited by fantailfan1

Actually I was just coming back to this thread to mention the pH. It has not always been like that. It used to be around 7.6 or a little higher even. But over the past few weeks it has been dropping. It even got down to around 6.0 once. Last weekend when I did the water change I had to gradually add water back to the tank because it was such a difference in the two pHs. So 6.4 for my tap water is low. I have always had a bubble wand in the tank so I don't understand why all of a sudden I can't keep the pH up.

Do you know your KH and GH? If you don't have test kits, you can get them from most pet stores. Or I believe you can usually get this information from your local water company.

I'm wondering if that loooow pH isn't at least part of the problem. :idont

hun, can you answer these questions also? you seem to have missed them

•* Ammonia Level (Tap):

•* Nitrite Level (Tap)

•* Nitrate level (Tap)

•* Water temperature?

also, what ornaments do you have in the tank and is there gravel. do you know the genders of both fish?

•* Ammonia Level (Tap): Between 0 and 0.25

•* Nitrite Level (Tap): 0

•* Nitrate level (Tap): 0

•* Water temperature? I am not sure of the temperature. I do not have a thermometer in the tank. I have to run to the pet shop to pick up some more Prime today and I can get one then and get back to you on that.

I have a thin layer of sand in the bottom of the tank with some decorative rocks scattered about. The rocks are not sharp or rough though, they are extremely smooth. The only other decoration in the tank is a tall fake plant. I plan to get a real plant (one that is goldfish proof of course) to put in the tank but until then I just have the one fake one. And I am also not sure of the genders either. Is there a way I can tell?

Has your fish been bottom sitting for any extent of time? Do you have aquarium salt or any salt that would be OK to use for treatment? I would of course wait for Helen for further advice, but having salt on hand is a good first step.

He is still very active. My dad says that he hasn't noticed any abnormal behavior this week. He may have been bottom-sitting once this morning when I came home but as soon as I entered the room he got up and didn't go back to the bottom while I was in there.I have aquarium salt and I also have Morton's Canning and Pickling Salt on hand.

thanks hun,

i want you to view the fish well, check to see if there are any slight dark spots coming from internal that looks like bruising. feel the belly, is it soft or firm? does the fish look fatter than normal? ie, possible that it's bloated?

check the red spots, do they look like they're coming from within the fish and making it to the surface of the skin? or do they look like they're just blood smears on the surface?

your answer as accuratly as possible will help us determine if the salt is actually needed or if we need to medicate with something mild.

how often do you clean the sand? i wonder if there is a build up of biofilm that has trapped a little bit of food or fishwaste causing some bacteria?

for genders, this article i wrote might help you determine: http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/102160-sexing-goldfish/

The spots do look like they are coming from internal and they are not as bright red as those in the photo I provided previously. They are a darker red, not bright. I am not sure what a fish's belly is supposed to feel like but neither of their bellies feel very firm. At least not what I would call firm. The fish do not look fatter than normal. I just vacuumed the sand a few minutes ago and there was poop in the sand and one of them was pooping just a few minutes ago as well.

I usually clean the sand every week and I just cleaned it tonight. I am very concerned about my pH though. I checked the pH of the tap water again before I replaced any of the water and it read 7.6. After I poured some of the water back in the tank I checked the pH of the tank again to make sure I wasn't raising the pH too suddenly. The pH of the tank had fallen to 6.0 and one of the fish was becoming a little lethargic. (Neither of them are lethargic at the moment but I also just picked them up and flipped them upside down to take a look at them so they may just be a little antsy right now).

As for the genders, I checked the vents of the goldfish. One of them (the one with the red spots) is extremely small and slender. The other fish's vent is a little bigger and shaped sort of like a triangle. It's not huge, but slightly larger than the other fish's. I do not see any evidence of breeding stars on either fish though.

I just checked the pH again and it was up to around 6.6 so it has come up a little and the fish are not as lethargic anymore. But I am still concerned about how the pH doesn't stay up. Is there anything I can do to stabilize the pH?

We'll wait for Helen to provide input on the red spots, but in the mean time I think you're right that we really need to get that Ph up to at least 7.0 and stable.

Do you have baking soda on hand?

Add 1 teaspoon of pre-dissolved baking soda to the tank, then, check pH 15 minutes later. Continue to add it in this manner until you reach a Ph of 7.0.

The baking soda is only a temporary measure, you are going to need a buffer to get that Ph up and stable for the long term. Seachem Gold Buffer (found in most stores) or Buff it up (found on goldfish connection.com) would be ideal choices. API proper Ph is another possible option if you can't find the Gold Buffer.

Until you are able to pick up the buffer please check your Ph at least 1x daily and add more baking soda as necessary.

Has it been raining a lot where you are recently? Sometimes excess rain/run off can lower Ph. And sometimes Ph just changes due to whatever the water company is doing :idont

We haven't had a lot of rain recently. We did have quite a bit maybe a week or two ago but that's it and I had been having problems with the pH before that. I just checked the pH again and after all the water has been replaced the pH is around 7.4. I will be going back to college tomorrow but I will have my dad keep a check on it for me.

So tank Ph is 7.4 now?

Is tap Ph still 6.4?

The tap pH was 7.6. That is what brought the pH of the tank back up. I did around 70-80% WC and added the water back in gradually and checked the pH multiple times throughout the process. The reading I got after all the water had been added back in was around 7.4. I just checked it again and it is around 8.4. This has me very confused.

The tap pH was 7.6. That is what brought the pH of the tank back up. I did around 70-80% WC and added the water back in gradually and checked the pH multiple times throughout the process. The reading I got after all the water had been added back in was around 7.4. I just checked it again and it is around 8.4. This has me very confused.

Ph can rise in the tank if the water company is adding gasses to lower Ph in the tap (they get released in the tank and allow the Ph to rise).

For now please keep a daily log of your tank and tap Ph if you can. We need to figure out what is going on because those are some pretty drastic swings within a very short period of time.

I just checked the pH this morning and both tap and tank are around 7.4-7.6. I had already started the WC last night before I saw stakos' reply about examining the fish and seeing if medication was needed and when I did the WC I added a little salt to the tank (not even enough to put it at 0.1%). I happened to remember the directions that I was given the first time this happened and I had to leave this morning for school so I decided to try it again. After I read her reply I was going to do another water change to remove the salt if needed but this morning the red spots are almost completely gone. If you didn't know they were there before then you wouldn't notice them at all.

And actually, I had just begun adding the water back to the tank when I saw what stakos said so I only salted one bucket full of water. So really all that was put into the tank was about 10 tsp. and the tank is 29 gallons because I stopped adding salt when I read her reply. I haven't seen any bottom sitting or anything like I did last night. My dad is going to check the pH for me everyday while I am gone this week and I will keep you updated on that. We have baking soda in hand in case the pH drops. What do you think I should do about the salt in the tank?

The tank and tap water are both at 7.6 today.