Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Narny105

Water changes! A little video

18 posts in this topic

I thought, since now it has been several months since having my betta, Captain Quarantine, I would make a small video about his progress since I got him. Then I decided to take it a step further and make it a demonstration video of how important correct water conditions and tank requirements are, and the effects they have.

When I first got him, I tested his water, which measured around 4-5ppm, and was kept at 18C since he was in the middle of a shopping centre in a pet shop that was closing down. I got him for free. He couldn't breath properly, took him a week (even in warm water) to fully digest food without a lump being present from where the food was sitting inside of him, swim bladder issues from his digestive problems, had fin rot, loss of colour, stress bars, and labyrinth issues (shown in the video when he skips across the surface)

Long story short, after a long time in quarantine with aquarium salts, epsom salts, and warm, clean water, he has made a nearly full recovery. Sadly he still has minor digestive issues (can't eat normal flake, pellet, or granule food formulas without getting constipated even when soaked), gill and labyrinth damage (which is progressively getting better), so he will swim for increments before resting and still skips across the water to use his labyrinth organ, but other than that, he has full flowing fins, a vibrant colour, and plenty of tank mates to bully!

Enjoy the video!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vk9Z5JbL2ro&list=UU_zHAFBUZI412rbyqwwqvNQ&index=1&feature=plcp

Edited by Narny105

You did a great job, Alex! I'm really happy to see. He is gorgeous!

The video was very well done as well. I like your choices of music. :)

I actually cried when I saw him all recovered, such a change!

Thank you for sharing and thank you for saving him! He's so amazing beautiful!!!

You did a great job, Alex! I'm really happy to see. He is gorgeous!

The video was very well done as well. I like your choices of music. :)

Thanks! I am very happy with his progress, I doubt he will live as long as most bettas, but it's the quality of life :)

I got the last song's inspiration from Tithra's video ;)

I actually cried when I saw him all recovered, such a change!

Thank you for sharing and thank you for saving him! He's so amazing beautiful!!!

Thank you :) I am glad he is getting better!

:clapping:

Great job, Alex. I think that was a brilliant idea, making that video. We always tell people how important good water conditions are, but being able to see what a differnce they can make will really inspire people to do it. I can't believe that's the same fish. Good for you. :clapping:

Excellent work Narny!.. i am happy to see such wonderful progress :) i loved the vid :)

Nice Narny! You did a great job helping him recover, he must be very thankful!

That was a little moving, good job Alex. His colouring is so much more vibrant now. :D

Very awesome, and such a pretty little guy! I almost teared up a little :)

It's really, REALLY wonderful of you to have taken him in, and given him such good care. He is a lucky little fishy for sure.

Thank you everyone! I am glad to have him :)

He looks wonderful, I had a betta that came from squalid conditions as well and had ammonia burns so severe his gill plates were permanently stuck ajar. He lived about two years and recovered a lot but he was never quite 100%. People don't think bad water quality has long terms effects but it clearly does.

Alex,you have done a wonderful job with him-God bless you :heart

Shazam! What a transformation!!!! I bow toward your hemisphere Sir, you should be commended for your great service to this very lucky and now stunning Captain Quarantine!

Holy crap! He looks like a different fish! His tail is so nice and lush! Great job!

That was just amazing... I had to show TD :thumb:

Great job Narny :) I love the video and was so happy to see him all recovered :)

Oops, never saw these comments! Thanks a bunch everyone! I never really noticed how well he had gotten until I found the video I made when I first got him, and I never thought he would have lived this long, but I am happy he has. He is such a placid betta and gets on well with the other fish :)