Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
erictruong

Can I use "All Country" All purpose ammonia for fishless cycle?

24 posts in this topic

I was trying to look for some pure ammonia in the GTA to perform a fish less cycle and I came across this product.

http://www.homehardware.ca/en/rec/index.htm/Indoor-Living/Home-Commercial-Cleaning/Cleaners/Household/All-Purpose/900mL-Ammonia-All-Purpose-Cleaner/_/N-2pqfZ67l/Ne-67n/Ntk-All_EN/R-I4521716?Ntt=ammonia

I was wondering if it would be okay to use this? I could not find the ingredients online but has anyone used this product before? I want to give it a try.

Looks good. Does it foam when you shake it?

Looks good. Does it foam when you shake it?

Not sure, give it a sniff and tell us

JUST KIDDDDDINNNGGGGG

Seriously don't smell it

yaapp, that is just evil! :rofl :rofl :rofl

LOL @ yaapp, I have no idea how it smells like.

@ Dnalex - Its not a clear bottle so I'm not sure. I guess I'll give it a try. Don't want any fish dying is all :S

I made the mistake of taking a sniff (I was curious) and it felt like my nose was about to fall off. It was burning and I couldn't sniff anything for a few minutes etc

So I just went out and picked this product up... I was curious as well yaapp I took a sniff it is horrible. @ dnalex - I also shook it and doesn't seem to foam up. So I guess this product is alright? Since this product smells so strong is it safe for fish?

What do you mean is it safe for fish? Are you not doing a fishless cycle?

@dna- I am but this stuff smells horrible LOL like after the tank cycles will my tank start smelling like this?

You will be doing more than one water change between now and then. Moreover, as ammonia is processed by your beneficial bacteria, the smell will go away.

@ dnalex - dont i only do one massive water change at the end of the fish cycle? Are you talking about water changes during the cycle or after it?

Edited by erictruong

I'm talking about both.

During the nitrite peak, when it gets too high, it's good to do some water changes. WCs do not harm your cycle.

But for every water change i do, doesn't that reduce the concentration of ammonia in the tank? If i leave it to build wouldn't it be quicker to cycle? But you mean during the nitrite peak when theres no more ammonia and it has all converted to nitrite?

Well, the nice thing about the fishless cycle is that you supply the ammonia source. The guideline is you provide a continuous 4ppm level prior to the nitrite peak, and then 1ppm ammonia during and after the nitrite peak. If you do a WC, you simply add more ammonia.

interesting. I've never successfully completed a fish less cycle before because I tried with fish food and I had no idea how much food i needed to add and I just gave up in the end. So I just add ammonia until i reach 4ppm and continue to do this daily until I have a nitrite reading? And add less ammonia to achieve the 1ppm during the peak correct?

That's right :)

I made the mistake of taking a sniff (I was curious) and it felt like my nose was about to fall off. It was burning and I couldn't sniff anything for a few minutes etc

I needed a good laugh :rofl

interesting. I've never successfully completed a fish less cycle before because I tried with fish food and I had no idea how much food i needed to add and I just gave up in the end. So I just add ammonia until i reach 4ppm and continue to do this daily until I have a nitrite reading? And add less ammonia to achieve the 1ppm during the peak correct?

And if you need help please post in the Water quality area. I will be happy to help you along :thumb:

Thats the kind I used!! It works great..... in chemistry we were always taught, waft, don't sniff directly hahahaa

in chemistry we were always taught, waft, don't sniff directly hahahaa

This lesson is applicable elsewhere, as well! :rofl :rofl :rofl

What I learned from Chem was to never sniff the combination of hydrochloric acid and tin foil.

Than I combined it and put it in a 2 liter bottle.

LOL yes it is Alex! :rolf :rolf ....... I'm pretty sire that is the only thing I remember distinctly from Chem class..... thats bad lol

@ koko - i will start a topic soon :) trying to figure out what is wrong with one of my filters first...

@ Haley - YES! thats great to know at least this way i know this ammonia will work for sure :)

I should have used Fishless cycle on my 10 Gallon Betta tank before I got my Betta T_T

Its been a good 13 days and no AMMONIA yet detected. Its at a clear reading of 0 (used API Master Kit).

I still have a chance but, I strongly think that is not safe to put my Betta in my 1 Gallon or my 2.5 Gallon. I got lots of betta casualties with that tank -_-

Lol I haven't had any success with fish less cycle yet because I didn't have Pure ammonia but now that I have it, it should be easier to work with than adding fish food @__@ I'm hoping this turns out good because I want my fish to have a healthier home :P