scrappinjaime

My Ryukin has a pimple

13 posts in this topic

Test Results for the Following:
  • * Ammonia Level 0
  • * Nitrite Level 0
  • * Nitrate level .5
  • * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 7.6
  • * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)
    Other Required Info:
  • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? API TEST DROPS
  • * Water temperature? 75
  • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 55 GAL, 5 months
  • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)?marineland 35o times two
  • * How often do you change the water and how much? twice a week 85%

• * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? Monday 85%
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size? 6 5-6"
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners? Prime
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often?Green bean, peas, pro gold and hikari lionhead, bloodworms
  • * Any new fish added to the tank? him and an oranda 4 weeks ago after qt
  • * Any medications added to the tank? no
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment. na
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? pimple
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc

I went home for lunch, fed them. When I went to leave I noticed he/she has a pimple looking thing on his/her side. It's not very big but big enough I saw it. I am at work so I can't post any pictures. He/she is acting perfectly fine, eating, swimming etc.

What should I do?

Edited by scrappinjaime

does it look like there is a lump under the pimple? or if it's oozing anything yet?

On the tip of it, it is red, under that it is kind of cottony. I know that isn't a word :) Yes it is raised from his body just like a real pimple would. Didn't really see any oozing, but then again he/she was swimming every where thinking they were getting more food :) Such little wigglers :)

ok, it sounds like it can be a bacterial cyst. for the fact that there is some red around it, sounds like it's going to burst. the fish will need to be in a qt tank by itself.. there is nothing you should do prior to bursting, but, the moment it bursts, you will need to add salt to 0.1% and make nice big daily water changes as there will be bacteria released into the tank. salt will encourage the wound to heal faster. i look forward to seeing pics from topview as well as side on of the affected area, when you can :)

the word is "pasty" once it bursts, a pasty noodle like thing will begin to come out. that's the bacteria.

OK, I will get him in the qt with pictures when I get off work. Approx how long should it take till it bursts? I will also post some pictures so you can see the pimple. Will you be able to tell what sex he/she is from the pictures too?

there is no real timeframe as to when a cyst will burst or how long it will take to heal, also, if any more are going to surface. sometimes, there are multiple cysts but you cannot see them as the area is inflamed and just when you think it's over, whilst the angry is becoming better, it presents with another.

a factor you need to consider is that if the wound has not properly healed before adding your fish back to it's usual community, tank mates might smell the wound as food and peck at it.. this may cause the wound to open again and possible other problems to occur, so, it is very important to give as much time needed for the wound to properly heal.

OK, I will get him in the qt with pictures when I get off work. Approx how long should it take till it bursts? I will also post some pictures so you can see the pimple. Will you be able to tell what sex he/she is from the pictures too?

Does it look like this?

Jaime, could you please upload a video, as well?

Yes that is what it looks like. I got the qt set up. What should I do now? Just wait for it to pop? Thank you

Yup. Just wait until it bursts, at which point you start salting. You will want to QT for a while, since more cysts may form.

Yes that is what it looks like. I got the qt set up. What should I do now? Just wait for it to pop? Thank you

When Charlie go his. i put salt in to .1% then two days later raised it to .2%. Third day did a 50% water change and put the salt back to .2% for another 3 days. When I did that it never popped it shrank and disappeared. :thumb:

:twocents

Keep the tank water nice a clean :)

It looks much better this morning. Not as red or raised. I did a water change and added salt. I'll get some pictures today, since I am finally home for a while :) Been traveling a lot for work lately, I've been exhausted. Leave again Monday for three days! But for now I'm home and can pay a lot of attention. I did water changes on all tanks last night, cleaned filters real well. Was able to enjoy the water changes instead of just do them :)

This is good new hun :thumb: