• * Ammonia Level 0
  • * Nitrite Level 0
  • * Nitrate level 10
  • * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 7.6
  • * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 6.6-6.8
    Other Required Info:
  • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? API
  • * Water temperature? 73
  • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 55, several months
  • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? Magnum canister and UV Sterilizer
  • * How often do you change the water and how much? 50% weekly

• * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? Sunday, 50%
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size? 6" ranchu 7" oranda
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners? Prime
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often? Pro Gold, peas, spinach
  • * Any new fish added to the tank? No
  • * Any medications added to the tank? No
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment. 4 rounds of prazi w/ 2 weeks of .1% salt
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? Raised scales on both sides.
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? Gulping air after eating, slightly floaty.

OJ (the ranchu) has been pretty floaty lately so I've been keeping an eye on her and making sure she is getting plenty of peas and spinach. Green beans are a no-go... they hate them. Anyway, when I got home a few minutes ago, I thought she looked a little bloated so I looked at her closely and noticed she has raised scales on both sides.

I have an unopened bag of Metro Meds on hand.

Thanks for any help :cry1

DSC01840.jpg

DSC01832.jpg

Good thing you caught it really early, Emily. I'm sorry it's happening, but this has really good prognositics given how early it is :)

Will you set up QT, and follow the standard protocol?

1. 1/4 teaspoon Epsom per 10 gallons of water since there is a bit of bloating.

2. heat to 80

3. 1% body weight daily of Metro-Meds, divided up into 3-6 meals. If you can determine how much OJ weighs, but cannot determine how much Metro-Meds to give, I'm sure Jess can help with telling you exactly how much :)

4. daily water changes of at least 50%, taking care to replenish Epsom. More WCs is better.

I don't think Epsom needs to be in there for too long, but definitely the first few days.

Fins crossed for rapid healing :)

Thanks for the quick response :) I've never weighed her but I will give it a shot and set all of this up.

Thanks for the quick response :) I've never weighed her but I will give it a shot and set all of this up.

Perfect. If your scale doesn't go below the gram level, just let us know how much she weighs. Since tithra is following this thread as well, she can easily tell you how much Metro-Meds OJ will need daily :)

My scale is actually at work so I'll bring it home tomorrow. For now is it ok if I just give her the same amount as I do Pro Gold?

Absolutely you can give her the same amount as Pro-Gold, although I suspect that you'll need a lot more. How long is she, not including tail?

Go ahead and feed her the Metro-Meds any time you are ready :)

4.5" not including tail. I'll go ahead and feed her metro instead of normal dinner tonight :)

Edited by Emily

Good luck. :heart

Awwww, poor little OJ. Positive Vibes to the both of you. Good luck. :)

Aw I'm sorry OJ is pineconing :( if you post his weight I can use my little scale to weigh how many mms you'll need. I'm not sure how big OJ is compared to Puff, but Puff gets about 40 a day for 1% body weight.

hun, if you've never weighed your fish before, here is a video i made up for another member a few days ago. might help.. healing vibes to sweet OJ :heart

hun, if you've never weighed your fish before, here is a video i made up for another member a few days ago. might help.. healing vibes to sweet OJ :heart

Very helpful video! I was wondering how you go about weighing a fish!

Hope OJ gets better soon!

Thanks so much for the positive vibes guys :) That video is great, Helen. Thank you! :heart

I don't think she looks any worse today but she is having a rough time buoyancy wise. I'm at work now so I will bring home my scale so I can weigh her tonight and let you know. Thanks Jess :)

The MMs will fix the buoyancy issue as well, and you should see that start to take effect even today. :)

I have nothing to add to any of this but I just wanted to wish you well :heart

Hun lets also take a look at the tank set up. Lets make sure the problem isnt in the tank...

Can you show me photos of the tank or a video? When was the last time the housing for the filters was cleaned out?

Thanks haley :) I appreciate it.

Hi Koko :) The tank set up is pretty basic. I have a very fine layer of TMS at the bottom with 5 large-ish river rocks from Petsmart and a bubble wand. I took apart the filter and did a light cleaning on Sunday but the whole tank set up (including the filter) was bleached 4-5 months ago. The tubing on the canister was also replaced shortly after. I don't think I've done a really thorough cleaning since then.

Here is a short video I took right after I noticed the raised scales.

Just wondering hun, what is that hanging in the back of the tank with the blue sponge on it?

Have you gravel siphon in the sand? and move the rocks that are siting on the sand?

The blue sponge is the inlet for my UV sterilizer. They pick at it sometimes so every now and then I have to push it back in. Goobers.

I've only had the sand for about 2 weeks but I have lightly siphoned it and I scoot the rocks around when I do water changes. I was gonna ask, actually, do you know how you care for that stuff without sucking too much up?

I actually don't vac in the sand; I just skim the siphon tube about 1 inch over the surface. To be honest, I don't even do it that much, because there isn't much of anything on the sand. I don't think Ashlee does either.

I actually don't vac in the sand; I just skim the siphon tube about 1 inch over the surface. To be honest, I don't even do it that much, because there isn't much of anything on the sand. I don't think Ashlee does either.

I dont do it that much, maybe once a month. The reason Im asking now is something, some how is triggering this or its in the tank. I just want to pin point why OJ got dropsy's :thumb:

Has the Ph adjusted it self at anytime? Oh one other thought. The UV when was the last time you looked in it to make sure its not leaking or anything.....

Im not trying to be mean or anything, just trying to help :)

You're not being mean! It is always important to check to see if there is anything about the system that needs to change! :)

Haha Koko, I don't think you have a mean bone in your body! Thank you for the questions, I want to know what caused it too :( The UV is pretty new, I got it around the same time as the sand. I haven't checked it for any damage, I can do that tonight.

Thanks guys :)

I agree with Koko, it could definitely be a tank issue. However, I recently realized that a lot of problems will be caused by internal parasites.

I weighed her and and looks like she is 75 grams.

Edited by Emily