Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
dakotak

New wood?

10 posts in this topic

I got this wood from a friend he was using for his snake but his snake does

not use it so he was going to toss it.

I was wondering if it would be ok in my goldfish tank. I dont know what type it is. My grandpa seems

to think its cypress.

My friend got it from some guys who where breeding rattle snakes

for 3 or 4 years so it it has been long dead and my friend took it out of his tank

for a year so it has not been in contact with snakes for awhile, he boiled it and bleached it when he got it(about 2-3

years ago). It does leak tannins and I have boiled

it already but I figured I would ask before I soaked it.

6e376a41.jpg

04015b6e.jpg

45aa59c2.jpg

b63cd8ea.jpg

The dark spot is form it being wet. Its all the white ish color.

I think as long as you have thoroughly cleaned and boiled and bleached and rinsed it should be ok for your fish tank,but please wait till some others give the ok as I am not 100% on that ;) looks like a nice piece too :)

If it is okay, than make sure the tannins don't leach.

It is very pretty wood. However, I would be concerned about it being with the snake previously. I am also concerned that it looks like it make have some places where it is hollow? (it's hard to tell from the pic for sure) Any sort of hollow points (holes that go deep into the wood etc.) can trap stagnant water and potentially breed bad bacteria. Driftwood for an aquarium should be totally solid with no hollow areas.

If you do decide to use it I would boil it really well prior to use.

It is very pretty wood. However, I would be concerned about it being with the snake previously. I am also concerned that it looks like it make have some places where it is hollow? (it's hard to tell from the pic for sure) Any sort of hollow points (holes that go deep into the wood etc.) can trap stagnant water and potentially breed bad bacteria. Driftwood for an aquarium should be totally solid with no hollow areas.

Yes it has one hollow place but my air bubblier with and air stone will go in it and all the way down to the bottom, is that ok? I was concerned about the snakes before as well but he has bleached it, used it for only 2 months then he took it out and put it on a shelf under the snakes tank(for a year).

Does that make you feel better? Sorry if I sound disrespectful or anything. Also may I ask what concerns you about it being with snakes before? Besides the venom part.

Yes it has one hollow place but my air bubblier with and air stone will go in it and all the way down to the bottom, is that ok? I was concerned about the snakes before as well but he has bleached it, used it for only 2 months then he took it out and put it on a shelf under the snakes tank(for a year).

Does that make you feel better? Sorry if I sound disrespectful or anything. Also may I ask what concerns you about it being with snakes before? Besides the venom part.

Well it doesnt make me feel better :o

But the reason is... We always get concerned when equipment is used between creatures. You just never know what is living in it.

i think what we are trying to say. Hollow anything is a concern, its at your own risk. I have had problems with large logs in the tank and other too.

If you feel like you can clean it enough and get enough air in there to keep stagnate water from building up, then try it. Me personally dont like Logs in the tank.

:twocents

The other thing you can do with the hollow areas is to fill it with sealant. Then water won't be going in or out. I think bleach can get rid of a significant amount of diseases, they use rubbing alochol to clean things between patients in clinical settings. The stuff I use at work is lvl 3 and 4 toxicities so I don't think you want to use those but they kill basically everything. Another option is possibly a UV sterilizer but I have no experience with those. How close are you at your stocking level? It looks like a big log, is it going to take up too much space and deplete water quantity?

The other thing you can do with the hollow areas is to fill it with sealant. Then water won't be going in or out. I think bleach can get rid of a significant amount of diseases, they use rubbing alochol to clean things between patients in clinical settings. The stuff I use at work is lvl 3 and 4 toxicities so I don't think you want to use those but they kill basically everything. Another option is possibly a UV sterilizer but I have no experience with those. How close are you at your stocking level? It looks like a big log, is it going to take up too much space and deplete water quantity?

Good point. The more you place in the tank, the less water in the tank, making the tank smaller in a since. :o

Yes, as koko alluded to my concerns about it being with a snake previously just have to do with the possible stuff that can be shared amongst creatures. For example, it's not a great idea to put stuff used for turtles in a fish tank because there is the risk of salmonella being carried along. I admittedly know very little about snakes so I do not know if there are any similar risks. If it has been bleached and boiled it should be okay from that perspective though.

Putting a bubbler in the hollows of the wood is a good idea as long as the air passes through all the hollow spots.

Driftwood is always a calculated risk ;) There are many many people here that keep it in their tank with absolutely no problems, and there are others that have had bacterial issues as a result of hollow wood or wood that begins to decay. Just keep a close eye on it if you decide to try it out :)

. How close are you at your stocking level? It looks like a big log, is it going to take up too much space and deplete water quantity?

My tank is 110 gallons with 4 goldies at the moment. So room is not a huge issue. :)

Thanks guys. I'll bleach it and boil it again then just to be sure I think ill set up a QT tank with it in there and a shrimp and a AD frog. If the water quality is ok and they are healthy I'll add it to my tank and the shrimp and ADF will go into my bros betta tank. I'll also look into sealing the hollow place. I already have wood in the tank and its doing well, the goldfish love picking at it. Eventually ill be adding a BN to the tank so the wood is a must. Thanks again. :3