Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
cmclien

Is it ever ok to add a new fish to your existing tank?

27 posts in this topic

Most of you will probably tell me NO!

We've had 3 or 4 fish in the past we have purchased at the local petsmart etc and have had no problems with disease when adding them in, is this unusual? I never had a QT tank of any kind, didn't even know I needed one as we are relatively new to all of this.

My 1 fish, a 3.5" fantail has been cured of past water toxicity for weeks now. He's eating well and looks really good to me. We were going to remove a little more gravel tomorrow and change the water and thought about going to the local store and seeing if they had another nice calico colored fantail to bring home. That would be all we would add to this 20g tank and would eventually upgrade to the 36g as they grow.

I have spent so much time bringing this guy back to good health that now I'm hesitant to add in any fish but I think he would be happier with a tank mate. The only other tank I have is a 5gal and when I had this little guy in it, he started getting stressed even with daily water changes. I saw a speckle of what I thought was ich on him but when I moved him to this bigger tank weeks ago it went away within a day. I don't know if qt a new fish in this small tank would help it out much.

Is there any kind of PM you can do to help prevent fish sickness when you get a new one like adding salt before they come etc?

What do you think might be the better situation in adding one? I've got the melafix product and they recommend on the bottle putting it in the tank for 4 days with a new fish but I can't think thats great for either one if they're healthy.

It's really best to quarantine. I am amazed you never had an issue. Even myself I bought two pearlscales a couple of weeks ago and they actually passed because they were so infested with flukes. Had I not quarantined them all of my fish would be infested.

Also I thinkt he general housing rule is 20 gallons for the first goldfish, then ten gallons for each additional. so I don't think you can put two in a 20gal tank. But I'm sure other, more experienced people can tell you more about that. c:

You really need to QT, and anyone who tells you otherwise is asking you to take a risk. Yes, it's true that sometimes nothing happens, but it only takes one time for something to occur, and your entire setup could suffer for years after that.

Yes, I do think your fish would be happier with a tank mate, but I also think that 4-6 weeks QT is not unreasonable, and you can very cheaply set up a 10 gallon Sterilite tub as QT. I used to QT for 4 weeks, then I shrunk it to 2-3 weeks. I skipped once or twice, and that had some terrible consequences. The last time I had new fish, I QT'd for 6 weeks. Next time, I may go to 8.

Really, these things should not be rushed. EVER.

I appreciate your thoughts. Wouldn't a present disease show up within a week or two? I mean, after 4 weeks wouldn't that be considered a "new" issue? Could I quarantine in the 5gal that I have and just do big water changes every or every other day?

Also I thinkt he general housing rule is 20 gallons for the first goldfish, then ten gallons for each additional. so I don't think you can put two in a 20gal tank. But I'm sure other, more experienced people can tell you more about that. c:

I thought I read on the pinned notes here on this forum that for a fancy with a double tail etc it was 10gal for each. But I am planning on upgrading in a few months and they should be ok when they are only 3 to 3.5 inches each for a while. I am doing a 50-70% wc once or even twice a week right now.

I appreciate your thoughts. Wouldn't a present disease show up within a week or two? I mean, after 4 weeks wouldn't that be considered a "new" issue? Could I quarantine in the 5gal that I have and just do big water changes every or every other day?

If it's a bacterial infection, you are likely to catch it by 4 weeks. With internal parasites, this is a bit murkier, because sometimes it can take months for the fish to actually become sick. If that's the case, why would a 4-6 week QT be helpful? Because during that time, if you have a microscope, you can actually use the microscope to check out every aspect of the fish possible. One of our moderators, stakos, is doing exactly this with her new fish. This is the best way, because it allows you to check for exactly what's going on with the fish and treat accordingly, without guessing.

For those of us without a microscope, those 4-6 weeks of QT are actually even more important, because we use that time to observe the fish behavior for clues to internal issues, such as tilting sideways, headstanding, bottom sitting, lethargy, etc. We can also analyze the poop of new fish. All of these give provide very useful clues, but this information really only becomes more informative after having been in QT for a couple of weeks. The first couple of weeks are confounded by the stress, and the resulting behavioral changes, of being moved/shipped etc, so you won't get much that is of value. Finally, the 4-6 weeks of QT allows us to properly treat with salt and praziquantel, to protect against flukes and other external issues.

:goodpost

Finally, the 4-6 weeks of QT allows us to properly treat with salt and praziquantel, to protect against flukes and other external issues.

I can guarantee you I won't be using a microscope lol. But I hear what you are saying, I need a bigger filter anyways for my 20 so I could buy a 10g and move my current aqua flow to that and then get a much bigger one knowing I will eventually be going to a bigger tank, one that would do 350-400gph, prob more than I need for the 20 but adequate for a bigger one and the one I have now, the 125gph would be good for the 10g.

I just feel impatient but I know thats silly, and I have worked so hard making this guy well, and he seems so happy now and swimming well and eating alot more now than he was a few weeks ago. The new tetra fin plus and the pro-gold seem to really agree with him, so no more staying in the bottom 2 inches of the tank, being weighed down, which I think was from constipation from the old goldfish flakes.

Thanks everyone. :)

Oh yeah, I meant to ask if you treat with the prazi product you mention as a preventative or were you just using that as an example?

Edited by cmclien

Poop analysis. :wub:

When I QT, I just go ahead and treat the fish as if they had parasites.

I think especially with your situation where your fish is just barely healthy again, it is even more important to QT.

Yup, quarantine is the right thing to do.

Some people are just lucky when something doesn't happen. But treating the fish with salt and prazi will get rid of most flukes. Some things just don't show up for a while in what seems like a healthy fish.

I agree with the need to QT.

I wanted to add that if you plan to update your tank, start searching Craiglist now. There are plenty of good deals. You want to find that person who tried and fish and realized that they are work, so they are getting rid of an almost-new tank. ;)

Finally, the 4-6 weeks of QT allows us to properly treat with salt and praziquantel, to protect against flukes and other external issues.

I can guarantee you I won't be using a microscope lol. But I hear what you are saying, I need a bigger filter anyways for my 20 so I could buy a 10g and move my current aqua flow to that and then get a much bigger one knowing I will eventually be going to a bigger tank, one that would do 350-400gph, prob more than I need for the 20 but adequate for a bigger one and the one I have now, the 125gph would be good for the 10g.

I just feel impatient but I know thats silly, and I have worked so hard making this guy well, and he seems so happy now and swimming well and eating alot more now than he was a few weeks ago. The new tetra fin plus and the pro-gold seem to really agree with him, so no more staying in the bottom 2 inches of the tank, being weighed down, which I think was from constipation from the old goldfish flakes.

Thanks everyone. :)

Oh yeah, I meant to ask if you treat with the prazi product you mention as a preventative or were you just using that as an example?

Many people here use prazi and salt as a part of the standard QT process. Please let us know if you want more info on this and we can recommend salt concentration/prazi schedule etc. Prazipro can be bought online (I usually get mine on amazon :) )

Almost all goldfish have internal flukes to some degree. They can show up during poor water conditions or poor diet. Both of which you can suspect happens a pet shops where sometimes fish care for goldfish is lax.

When you quarantine you are protecting not only your existing fish but your tank as well. Pretreating illness like ich and flukes which are both common issues found from fish taken from pet stores helps keep your tank healthy too. IF you have a breakout in your maintank that means you are spending more money to dose a larger area, and using more water changes and trying to monitor the conditions of more than one fish. Primary infections can lead to secondary ones cropping up if they are not treated.

There have been a few times on here when a tank has had to be nuked.

What are your time parameters for getting the new tank? Two fancies could survive in a 20 gal if you were planning to get this upgrade in a month or two. If you get the tank first then you can use your existing 20 as a qt tank.

Listen to Alex. He's speaking from experience. It only takes one disaster to make one take quarantine seriously.

Quarantine is not only a protection for your old fish, but for the new one as well. All fish (and this goes for people as well) carry parasites and potentially pathogenic bacteria. With a healthy immune system, they can live with the "bugs" they are accustomed to. But different fish carry different bugs, and stress weakens the immune system. So your new fish, stressed by a total changed in environment, can pick up a bug carried harmlessly by your old fish and quickly become sick. Quarantine allows your new fish to be comfortable in the new environment and to meet new bugs with a strong immune system.

Here are my suggestions. You've already mentioned some of this, but it doesn't hurt to have someone agree. :)

Get a 10 gallon tank for quarantine. It can also serve as a hospital tank when needed. 10 gallon tanks don't cost much more than a sterilite tub, and you can see the fish a lot better.

Watch for the $1 per gallon sale at Petco. Then get a 40 gallon tank. It's a steal at $40. Fantails can get pretty big, so it might not be their final tank, but it will be fine for a year anyway.

Get the filter you want for the 40 gallon future tank. Put in in the 20 gallon and borrow some of the cycled media from your old filter for the new one. Put the old filter in the quarantine tank when you get the new fish. Remember that you have split the nitrifying bacteria between two tanks and it may take a week or more to restore the numbers. Underfeed, check parameters daily, and change water as needed until you are sure both tanks are fully cycled.

After 4 weeks, put these two lonely fish together. :)

the last time I got a new fish he was perfectly adorable i didn't have a qt tank so I used my Rubbermaid tub withing a few days his whole right side of his face started to rot away it was the saddest most horrible thing I have ever gone through with a goldfish :( sadly I lost him but luckily my other fish were not infected!!! Always QT because you never know!!!!!

Geesh, Shelly.........what would have caused half of the fishes face to "rot off"?????? :(

Geesh, Shelly.........what would have caused half of the fishes face to "rot off"?????? :(

columnaris, for one. :(

OK, I picked up a 10gal for 14.99 at petsmart today :)

My poor hubby on fathers day had to go do this with me lol

I don't have the fish yet, thought we would get this all setup first.

So what should I do to the water besides API stress coat, API quick start (beneficial bacteria allows you to put fish in new water), have had good success with this.

But what else?

Aquarium salt, 1tsp per gallon or do I need more for the new one?

Melafix? I was recommended this on another site before I found Koko's. It says when adding new fish treats open sores, fin and tail rot, eye cloud, pop eye, body slime and mouth fungus, body wounds. It is made from tea trees, only ingredient is melaleuca 1.0%. It says it is good for treating newly introduced fish....

You guys mentioned another product, prazi... is that only for those parasites you mentioned. That gives me a big eww factor, sorry, I hate the idea of parasites.

Thanks everyone, big help on this site, so glad I found it.

I would return the API products and get Seachem Prime, Stability.

Instead of aquarium salt, save some money and get canning and pickling salt from the grocery store. It might be hiding with the canning supplies. Make sure it has no additives. Mine is a much finer salt that aquarium salt, so it's easier to use. Plus, it was a LOT cheaper. :)

Edited by ShawneeRiver

It happened so fast we were not sure but thought it would have been columnaris :( it was my little tri colored tele Wynn a couple of months back now :(

I am one of those that QT'd perfectly for six weeks and still brought in a contagious disease to my main tank and lost everyone. I was super careful, but in that case six weeks wasn't even long enough. Now I am incredibly picky as to where I will get my fish from. It is never worth the risk.

you would refrain from sending your child to school or to play group if it were sick or showing signs of illness, you would also be weary to send you child to these places without immunization.

it's the same thing with fish, we treat to prevent.. as we would our child, we give it the best chance health wise in life and hope it doesn't get sick. we continue this routine with providing it a clean environment, plenty of play/living space and nice hopefully healthy friends to play with.

goldfish are just like children, we must provide the best care for them to give them a good chance in life. they have a need from us, by buying, we should feel obligated to do the right thing.

I would always QT, I was lucky in the one time I decided to not QT but it'd not something I'd chance again.

you would refrain from sending your child to school or to play group if it were sick or showing signs of illness, you would also be weary to send you child to these places without immunization.

it's the same thing with fish, we treat to prevent.. as we would our child, we give it the best chance health wise in life and hope it doesn't get sick. we continue this routine with providing it a clean environment, plenty of play/living space and nice hopefully healthy friends to play with.

goldfish are just like children, we must provide the best care for them to give them a good chance in life. they have a need from us, by buying, we should feel obligated to do the right thing.

So true!!, Helen you put that so beautifully.