Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Drowsy

Does FiFi have fungus?

26 posts in this topic

Back when FiFi hurt her side she also broke the edge of her tail fin.

Her side has healed nicely, but I've been side eyeing her tail fin lately. I'm not sure if this is just how it should be healing, or if she has started to get a fungus.

SFo5e.png

j9KPE.png

c6sXA.png

If it IS a fungus, how do I go about treating it?

• * Ammonia Level: 0.25
  • * Nitrite Level: 0.25
  • * Nitrate level: 5.0
  • * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) : 7.6
  • * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines): na
    • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops?: API drops
    • * Water temperature?: 74 ferenheit
    • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running?: 100gal running for over three months now.
    • * How often do you change the water and how much?: Twice a week, 25% to 50%
    • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)?: tetra whisper 200gal
      * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change?: Yesterday, probably over 50% that time.
    • * How many fish in the tank and their size?: five. One about one inch, two about two inches, one three inches, one five.
    • * What kind of water additives or conditioners?: Aquasafe.
    • * What do you feed your fish and how often?: Variety. Fresh veggies, froxen vegetarian diet, pellets, freeze dried tubifex worms and freeze dried shrimp as treats.
    • * Any new fish added to the tank?: nope.
    • * Any medications added to the tank?: nope.
    • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment.:
      Peazipro a while back, three rounds. Melafix back when FiFi hurt herself, for about a week.
    • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus?: The little frayed spot with the seemingly white edge.
    • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.?:
      Nope,s he is totally active, happy, eating and swimming really well. Doesn't act sick at all. I just want to know if this is a fungus to catch it asap.

It looks like it could be slime build up on the fins, and doesn't look like a fungal infection. There is some bacterial infection on the fins. Either way, is Fifi by herself? If not, she needs to be isolated, and her QT tank salted to 0.3% at 0.1% at every 12%. Once there, you will want to do daily near 100% WCs.

If after 24 hours in 0.3% salt, the issue hasn't started to go away, we can discuss doing salt dips.

I agree. And it looks like you might need to up your water changes a bit as you have some ammonia and nitrite which won't help with the healing.

It looks like it could be slime build up on the fins, and doesn't look like a fungal infection. There is some bacterial infection on the fins. Either way, is Fifi by herself? If not, she needs to be isolated, and her QT tank salted to 0.3% at 0.1% at every 12%. Once there, you will want to do daily near 100% WCs.

If after 24 hours in 0.3% salt, the issue hasn't started to go away, we can discuss doing salt dips.

Okay, no problem. I moved her to the quarantine tank, and started the salting process. I'll keep a close eye on her, thanks so much.

I agree. And it looks like you might need to up your water changes a bit as you have some ammonia and nitrite which won't help with the healing.

Yeah. those are leftovers from the gravel removal. I posted a thread on that, too. I'm still doing daily water changes to bring them down now.

Now FiFi is bottom sitting.

Is this something I should expect after moving her like that, and starting to salt the tank?

I don't want to freak out about nothing. She's just my baby and I'm pretty apt to be nervous. xD

How is she now, Drowsy? Was she active prior to the move? How active was she? When you moved her to QT, the pH and temp matched that of the main tank, it's cycled? It's not unusual for her to bottom sit once she's moved, because it's a strange environment.

How is she now, Drowsy? Was she active prior to the move? How active was she? When you moved her to QT, the pH and temp matched that of the main tank, it's cycled? It's not unusual for her to bottom sit once she's moved, because it's a strange environment.

It was me overreacting. Ahaha. She is swimming around fine now. She just got nervous because of the move.

The QT tank has the same pH but reads zeroes on nitrite, ammonia and nitrates. I am thinking because it has always been bare bottomed. Temperature the exact same.

And it has been set up for about a month, filled with water from the cycled tank, with rocks and filter from the cycled tank. So it's very nicely established.

She seems to be doing good! Will update if anything changes.

Fantastic! :)

Make sure you raise the salt to 0.3%, in increments of 0.1% every 12 hours. I hope to begin to see improvements within a couple of days of salt being at 0.3%.

Fantastic! :)

Make sure you raise the salt to 0.3%, in increments of 0.1% every 12 hours. I hope to begin to see improvements within a couple of days of salt being at 0.3%.

I have it at 0.1% now, ready to do another round in a few hours.

How many days should she stay in the 0.3% water?

Until she is back to normal. I would guess a week or so.

Until she is back to normal. I would guess a week or so.

Alright. And I don't have to do any water changes in the next week? I read your salt article, I just want to make sure.

I'm glad you asked. :)

Yes, you will need to do WCs next week. If possible, do 100% changes daily, and replacing the salt. (This is where Morton's canning & pickling salt becomes such a good thing.)

Both the salt and the fresh new water daily will help with the fast recovery :)

I'm glad you asked. :)

Yes, you will need to do WCs next week. If possible, do 100% changes daily, and replacing the salt. (This is where Morton's canning & pickling salt becomes such a good thing.)

Both the salt and the fresh new water daily will help with the fast recovery :)

I can do that. c:

Is the pickling salt or rock salt more ideal? I have rock salt right now but I can GET the pickling salt.

It doesn't matter, as long as the salt does not contain any additives or anti-caking agents etc. I only indicated pickling salt because you can get 4 pounds of that 4 under $2 :)

It doesn't matter, as long as the salt does not contain any additives or anti-caking agents etc. I only indicated pickling salt because you can get 4 pounds of that 4 under $2 :)

Holycow. xD

Well when I run out of this I will definitely go for the pickling salt. I was just lucky to have some rock salt on hand. Thanks for the info!

At what point should I start to see improvement in her fin? She seems to be doing well, I'm watching her closely, but I don't see much yet.

What percentage salt are you at? If things don't improve in the next couple of days, we'll go with something a bit more aggressive, but still pretty safe and gentle. We'll give her a salt dip. :)

What percentage salt are you at? If things don't improve in the next couple of days, we'll go with something a bit more aggressive, but still pretty safe and gentle. We'll give her a salt dip. :)

Keeping it steady at 0.3% with the 100% daily water changes, just like you said. c:

She's very active and good, behavior wise, so I'm not too worried. I just want to keep her on the right track. I'll continue keeping an eye on her.

Let's plan on doing a salt dip on Wednesday if he still is unchanged. :)

Qv4LD.png

Updated photos. I do not think it's gotten any better. Except a lot of the red is gone. Otherwise I can't tell if the white area has gotten worse or not.

This is very encouraging. The disappearance of the redness indicates that the inflammation is going away, which means that the infection, the cause of the inflammation, is going away as well. I think that there is healing going on as well.

Because of the issue of ammonia in the tap water, we can't do salt in the water, but we can continue to to the salt dip twice. I hope she will be able to stay in the saline longer this time and the next :)

This is very encouraging. The disappearance of the redness indicates that the inflammation is going away, which means that the infection, the cause of the inflammation, is going away as well. I think that there is healing going on as well.

Because of the issue of ammonia in the tap water, we can't do salt in the water, but we can continue to to the salt dip twice. I hope she will be able to stay in the saline longer this time and the next :)

Oh good! I was letting myself feel very down about it after taking these pictures. This is wonderful to hear.

I'm going to try and be less skittish for the next two salt dips. We'll see how that guys. I'll try and be strong. xD

Do you have hydrogen peroxide? I may ask you to wet a Q-tip, and dab the affected area before the salt dip. This should serve to cauterize the wound and kill off any infection that is still there. HP swab is a very effective means to control external issues.

I do! In this household we have two bottles, because I am always injuring myself. xD

I can swab it no problem.

Good. You can swab it any time you like. You should expect that some of the tissue will be eaten away, but it will regrow.

I also always have several bottles of HP in the house. I make mouthwashes from them :)