Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bodoba

Want a new kritter

42 posts in this topic

Both my kitties are leaving me after the summer. Which makes me very sad and my mother (whom I live with) very happy. She is fine with me getting pond fish but they have to stay in the basement and not in an aquarium on her precious new floors, which I don't blame her. But I want at least some type of pet and my mother isn't against most things just, insects, reptiles, dogs, cats, and rodents. I'm pretty sure anything loud would be out too (looked into budgies)

I asked about a small 5-10 gal tank for a betta and she said no. Only fish that go in the pond in the summer I can collect. So that leaves me with...snails and goldfish oh and frogs neither of which can go above ground (the basement isn't finished by the way, basically a cemented root cellar)

What does that leave me with, a small caged animal I can keep in my tiny closet room?

Maybe I should go back to what I did when I was five, cut up tiny paper fish, put them in a empty pop bottle, fill it with water and shake, and watch them swim.... :(

Bunny? ferret? Finch? Sugar glider?

Don't get bunnies or ferrets unless ya like scooping oodles of poop and sugar gliders sleep all day. Guinea pigs are really fun and only need a good sized cage changed weekly. You can just let em run around out of the cage in a bathroom every day. I really miss my Mimi Pigallotie, she would squeek up a storm when I came in the room and when it was veggie time and piggy pur when she got luvins, soooooo cute!

lol your list only leaves birds. How about a canary or some finches?

How about a mini pot bellied pig?

LOL ya get one of those. She well love it on her new floors.

hahaha I think a pot bellied pig would also scratch up her precious floors but my children would love one, guinea pigs are too "smelly" according to my mom *rolls eyes*

Do you know of any birds that aren't loud hidr? I know my dad used to keep owls when he was a kid, but that was like... 60 yrs ago and on a farm.

The two I mentioned most people do not consider loud. There are many types of canaries and finches. However they are not finger birds. As far is parrots go if she thinks a budgie is loud then I have nothing to suggest. To me any other parrot is much louder. And some like tiels are very annoying.

Edited by Hidr

Guinea pigs are stinky, hehe. I have 2 bunnys, and with the litter I use for them, you cant smell a thing! Love it.

Its usually the smaller more expensive finches that are quieter. If she thinks budgies are loud then your average Canary, Zebra finch, society finch, ya know the more common ones, will be too noisy.

Oh well, I was hoping for a pet I could touch.... I wonder if I could start worm farming, (indoor composting) you kinda get to touch them lmao but then again, that's also a project for the basement only, I might as well just take a cot and live down there with the roots and the spiders

LOL never heard a loud canary or any kind of loud finch unless you have a whole lot of them.

Well i think you might be out of luck lol. It sounds to me like every single animal you suggest she will make some excuse not to have

Do you have room for any animals outside?

Awe man I was voting on the Pig :thumb::lol

That's the trouble with living in manitoba , our winters get down to -40C so not really pet friendly unless you're a polar bear. I don't want to keep and outside only dog cause we live in town and don't have a barn for it for the winter.

I think I'll try the bird angle. Or continue to wear her down on a betta (just to keep the snails company). Snails we use in the pond so in theory if it benefits her garden she lets me do it, frogs I don't really want to catch and keep indoors cause they're wild and they hibernate in the ferns every year and I don't wanna mess with that. Turtles she's ok with but most require things she won't allow on her floors (a tank with water in it) Technically I could build a bird sanctuary outside for the summer time so I think that'll help to say they're only indoors for 10 months of the year.

I'm pretty sure reptiles are a no no which is a shame cause there are loads of crested whatever they are for sale (I want to say geckos) Pigs are expensive around here and I don't think they let them in town.

sounds like mum has put you in a cage and is poking you with a stick (no offence intended) it doesn't seem like she's going to be happy with any suggestion.. if she can be made to understand that some people need pets to bond with and that certain pets can restore calmness in one's life, then perhaps she will consider a few suggestions?

a small 5 or 10 gallon tank and a betta would be great~~~~no noise, 5 gallon tank will be light and easy to clean, and they do (sometimes) swim in your hand............................ :teehee

The quietest bird that you can handle is a Parrotlet. Best bird I've ever had. They are super cute and can learn a few phrases, ya really gotta listen though with their tiny voices. There's lots of youtube vids of them, so adorable!!!

I love parrotlets but they can have a very loud screech. Not as loud as love birds but louder then a budgie.

sounds like mum has put you in a cage and is poking you with a stick (no offence intended) it doesn't seem like she's going to be happy with any suggestion.. if she can be made to understand that some people need pets to bond with and that certain pets can restore calmness in one's life, then perhaps she will consider a few suggestions?

I agree with Helen and others who have voiced this opinion. :(

Una, unfortunately I think your mom is giving you a passive aggressive no. I don't think she's going to agree to anything, on grounds that there is always going to be something objectionable to each and everything you choose.

If she's okay with turtles but not tanks of water, get a land tortoise. There are several species that stay relatively small, the most common (at least, around here) being the russian tortoise. This is an easy desert species so its water requirements are low. Needs at least as much space as a 40 breeder, though if you use a tank, you have to paint the sides a few inches because their little tortoise brains can't grasp the concept of glass according to the forums, and they'll keep trying to get through it.

If she's okay with turtles but not tanks of water, get a land tortoise. There are several species that stay relatively small, the most common (at least, around here) being the russian tortoise. This is an easy desert species so its water requirements are low. Needs at least as much space as a 40 breeder, though if you use a tank, you have to paint the sides a few inches because their little tortoise brains can't grasp the concept of glass according to the forums, and they'll keep trying to get through it.

A fish tank is great for fish or water turtles but a plastic sweater box or turtle table is better for land torts and turts. They need more surface area for ventilation, varying temperatures and humidity. Those lfs don't just lie about fish keeping and not all forums know what the Foxtrot they're talking about.

Edited by smegypsiren

Well I talked to her and you guys were right, I asked about birds and apparently they make too much of a mess and why would I bother wintering snails when I can dig them up every year from the slough. I said I needed something to care for that I can interact with and she suggested a teddy bear. Guess I'll just have a rough winter, hope I can get fish this year and I'll just obsess about them in the basement.

Time to put mom in a nursing home and pocket the social security check. Guess that's why I never asked, she'd just think she's nuts for a week then finally figure out there's a birds, guinea pig and sugar gliders in my room :)

I know a lot of people will go EWW, but tame rats actually make nice pets. They're very smart and a friendly.