Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Cappeh

Permanent side-laying, need some advice/ideas.

10 posts in this topic

Test Results for the Following:

• * Ammonia Level; 0ppm
  • * Nitrite Level; 0ppm
  • * Nitrate level; 20ppm
  • * Ph Level, Tank; 7.6
  • * Ph Level, Tap; 8.2
    Other Required Info:
  • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops?; API Master Kit, drops
  • * Water temperature?; 75* (room temp)
  • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running?; 29gal, with this filter since Dec. 2011, in total Nov. 2010.
  • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)?; Fluval 305 and AquaClear 30.
  • * How often do you change the water and how much?; Weekly, usually two back to back changes of 40-50%. I used to do just 50% changes but I found I could not keep the nitrates down that way.

• * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change?; Today, two 40% changes.
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size?; Two, Bean is around 5.5" nose to tail and Rolo is 6" nose to tail.
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners?; Prime conditioner, previously AQ salt for Rolo's side but it should be out of there by now.
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often?; They get Pro-Gold and Omega One pellets, soft spriulina pellets, peas, etc etc.
  • * Any new fish added to the tank?; No
  • * Any medications added to the tank?; No
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment.; From previous thread; "Rolo has a bit of history... in November she had popeye in both eyes (this was a while after she had been laying on her side), treated her with two rounds of Maracyn and everything cleared up. One eye drained (popped?) and eventually healed, but is now sort of flattened. The other eye sort of looks downward (looks like drop-eye to me), but she has vision in both. Occasionally she drops some scales, while her tankmate Bean does not. Bean is and has been in good health all along, she never bottom sits or anything. Rolo is the only one that displays symptoms of sickness." Nothing since then.
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus?; New development from before.. her fins seem to be beginning to fray, though I'm not sure if its from the substrate or something else. There seem to be light red streaks running through her cadual fins, but not in the other ones. One side of her near her vent seems slightly larger than the other, and soft to the touch.
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.?; Rolo lays on her side at the bottom of the tank, and when she swims she seems to have difficulty going for very long. She does eat very well still and responds to me when I come to the tank, but is just sideways on the bottom. She's been this way since November or so.

Okay, so some background info. I had a previous thread here a little while ago, and Rolo's condition still hasn't improved. The patches on her side that previously had sores have mostly healed, but I'm not sure that scales regrew in those places (it looks exposed). at this point I just want to get her upright again, and I'm not sure what else to do. I have been hesitant to decide if I should put her down because she still eats very well and aside from the laying is active (she swims a little and gets about, though not as much as she used to). If this is something permanent and she'll be stuck like this forever I'd like some advice on people with similar issues to make her life comfortable, or if you all think that she's suffering this way I need to hear it so I can feel comfortable letting her go. I'm not quite at that point yet and I still have some fight left in me for her, so just lemme hear your thoughts and ideas. Thanks in advance.

I'll get some photos/video tomorrow when I get home from work so you can see what she's looking like these days.

Thanks again.

Now don't take my word for certain, but from what I have seen, read, etc, it looks like she has a permanently damaged swim bladder.

I see a lot of people whose fish are at the bottom, but still eat and move now and then and they let them keep going. But they remove the substrate to keep them from hurting themselves. I think that's what the sores were from, and what the fraying fins are from.

I, personally, don't think you should give up on her.

And I think you should have a look at this video.

Note in comments how they said they played with the size of the piece of cork so now she can swim in the middle of the tank, and up and down if she wants.

there are dozens of others similar to this on youtube. And even how-tos on the internet if you google how to make one for your fish.

Edited by Drowsy

I'll wait for the video tomorrow to say something conclusively, but so far, I think Drowsy is correct. :(

That looks exactly like how Rolo is, thanks! I had suspected that the swim bladder was the issue, but was hoping it wasn't. I'm looking into upgrading my tank soon, so I'll work on getting the substrate out to store her from further injuring herself.

That's a totally awesome little invention there, I think I'll look into making one for her. Poor Bean follows her around the tank over the course of the day, I feel so bad for her. Thanks for the video, that helps a lot. I feel much better about everything now.

That looks exactly like how Rolo is, thanks! I had suspected that the swim bladder was the issue, but was hoping it wasn't. I'm looking into upgrading my tank soon, so I'll work on getting the substrate out to store her from further injuring herself.

That's a totally awesome little invention there, I think I'll look into making one for her. Poor Bean follows her around the tank over the course of the day, I feel so bad for her. Thanks for the video, that helps a lot. I feel much better about everything now.

I am glad it could help. C:

I notice that other people use stockings instead of elastic. I would think that is gentler on the fishes scales, and slime coat. I would consider that, too.

I think Thea's also made harnesses for Toby, her sinker, and others on the forum have as well, although it's been at least a few years.

I'm poking around youtube now but will do more in the morning, I have Thursday off from work so I'll have all day to run around for materials to make one for her to try. Tomorrow I'll poke around the forums to see what other users have done. The stocking does sound a lot easier on her slime coat, will probably go for that. Thanks again for the help, will post some updates as I go along.

That sounds great!

For now can I suggest you set a glass plate/flat glass dish in there for her to set on? Or remove a portion of the substrate to leave a smooth surface for her. You'll see her go to it and stay there. I think she needs it, if she had sores and frayed fins she could damage her delicate eyes, as well.

Good idea, stuck a plate in there for the night, I can fix up something better once I get home to last until I can either get the substrate out or upgrade the tank. Hoping they'll do the $/gal sale at work soon so I can pick up a 55, so we'll see.

Heading to bed for now, will post updates. (: Thanks again.

Great!

Also try looking on craigslist, too. I got a 100gal on there for just $50. And it is excellent for my goldies.

Good luck!