Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Evening

Ryukin humps!

14 posts in this topic

While I initially believed that my bigger fishy, Flea, was a fantail, as time has gone by I believe more and more that he's actually a Ryukin, or perhaps a mutt of some kind, but he definitely has a bit of a hump forming now, and that has me excited; I've always wanted a nice Ryu. So, I'm looking for food ideas to help his hump growth a bit. I've heard high protein diets can help with that, but I'd like to know you guys' opinions.

Currently I feed a mostly veggie diet of lightly boiled/blanched romaine lettuce, spinach, peas, and whatever other veggies we happen to have leftovers from, along with a weekly cube of bloodworms and goldfish wafers/pellets every other day. So, how shall I alter this to produce maximum hump growth while keeping a healthy fishy?

That title had me doing a double take. I'm like xrated goldies??? OoooooooK

Edited by smegypsiren

you can put all those veggies together, steam them soft, add a couple of cubes of bloodworms, blend, add gelatine and you have high protein gelfood. ryu's grow nice humps on high protein foods :)

if you have high protein pellets, you can add this to the gelfood blend also before setting with gelatine

I'm sure this is coincidental, but I couldn't help making the connection regardless.

This is Calliope, whom I thought for a year was a fantail, and you can see why.

SAM_1467_Edited.jpg

About three months into feeding him Pro-Gold at least once a day (blood worms or veggies during other meals), this is what I see.

SAM_2338.jpg

The hump is even more pronounced now, and he has gotten much bigger as well. I attribute this at least in part to Pro-Gold. :)

This guy got his hump in 4 months thanks to progold.

KennyAfter.jpg

And this guy is also on progold :)

CartmanAfter.jpg

Pro-gold really helps those humps grow it looks like.

Lovely humps!

I need to get some progold! In the meantime I'll see about getting some unflavored gelatin and try this out. Blending might be difficult: don't suppose fine shredding would be acceptable? XD

What kind of proportions should I use?

That title had me doing a double take. I'm like xrated goldies??? OoooooooK

Haha, in hindsight it is kind of unfortunate wording.

I been using Progold since it came out. My biggest fish was Pharoh (chocolate Oranda(passed away in 08)) got him when he was 3" long he grew to a Whopping 9" long by the time he was about 5 years old. His main diet was Progold and then Gel food on the side. :thumb:

Charlie and the rest of my crew now, this is all the get. Got Charlie when he was 3" long hes now about 6-7" long. I have had him for 2 years. :thumb:

The hump is even more pronounced now, and he has gotten much bigger as well. I attribute this at least in part to Pro-Gold. :)

BWAH HA HA HA! We've converted Alex to the cult of Pro-Gold! ;)

It's great stuff -- I've been feeding it to my fancies since the 1990s, when it was called Sho-Gold. I've switched their staple food a few times but always end up coming back to Pro-Gold. Nothing makes their colors brighter and their scales as shiny.

I'm just wondering where do you guys get pro-gold?

From Goldfish Connection. I also highly recommend their spirulina flakes, although feeding that one too often can result in color smearing on white or mostly-white fish. I've never had color problems with Pro-Gold though.

BWAH HA HA HA! We've converted Alex to the cult of Pro-Gold! ;)

It's great stuff -- I've been feeding it to my fancies since the 1990s, when it was called Sho-Gold. I've switched their staple food a few times but always end up coming back to Pro-Gold. Nothing makes their colors brighter and their scales as shiny.

I been buying it ever since goldfishconnection got it :thumb:

:lol

From Goldfish Connection. I also highly recommend their spirulina flakes, although feeding that one too often can result in color smearing on white or mostly-white fish. I've never had color problems with Pro-Gold though.

Thanks!