Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Pearlscaleperfect

Baby ryukin!

29 posts in this topic

Well two weeks ago I saw they had a shipment of very tiny calico ryukins in at my LFS and they were going for $4 a fish. I told myself if they were still there when I got back I'd get one, and when I went in today to pick up a bubbler and some tasy live copepods for my fish they were there! Two weeks ago they had two 20 longs filled with them! and today there were only about 15-20 in one tank. I had to get on a stepstool to see them (the goldfish are always on the top shelf! Super inconvenient for a short person). They also had some nice crowned pearlies for $11 and some very high quality looking ranchu/lionheads for like $34 (a bit overpriced imo) but I couldn't help but go for a ryukin. I've wanted one for a while and I think it will be an awesome experience to raise one from such a tiny size! I'm taking bets on whether it's a boy or girl! haha, it'll be interesting to see when he grows a bit. He's currently in quarentine in the 10gal and tbh I'm a bit worried about putting him in with the big goldies in the 30 gal since he's so tiny. Hopefully he'll grow a bit for the month he's in QT and I can get him fat and ready to swim with the big fish!

2f571522.jpg

right side!

4b4e7987.jpg

left side!

346339f3.jpg

front

7bcfce86.jpg

swimm!

9174976e.jpg

his white tummy!

c56e3074.jpg

spirit fingers! I love his black fins, maybe if I'm lucky he'll keep them (lol unlikely)

6f9dc1d1.jpg

picking at the bottom of a silk plant

Here are some recent pictures of my other two goldies, Glados is the calico ranchu and Roosevelt is the chocolate crowned pearlie. Glados had her fins gnawed off by Roos but I guess she didn't want to breed with him since the behavior has stopped and her fins are growing back in nicely. I discovered my dad (who does water changes when I'm at college) was using water too cold from their tank's water temp so I think the sudden temp changes would initiate breeding behavior which would subside once their heater evened everything out (which is only used during the winter months) Either way I can't wait for her fins to grow back, Roos's are a but frayed at the ends but those are healing as well. Roos has gotten so big since I got him in Jan of 2010. I'm really lucky that he's gotten so round and has had no problems what so ever with his swimbladder.

1cfafe1d.jpg

Roos! I love his yellow body, I always think he's gonna change colors on me but he hasn't yet!

5523c0fa.jpg

2c303330.jpg

full length! his fins are so long, especially his pectorals!

0592cbd2.jpg

one shot of Glados, who was hiding behind Roos the whole time! as you may be able to se int he photo, her ventral and anal fins are growing in as nubs now, and her tails is showing lots of growth is well.

And for two last but random pictures!

18a9b6d0.jpg

One of my fat betta girls in the sorority.

fedd7f22.jpg

The copepods I'm using as live food.

Thanks for looking guys!

Very nice! :Congrats:

dear gawd.. it's such a cutie :( i am sad because it's not mine :(

but i send my congratulations just the same and look forward to progress posts ;)

Oh (s)he is adorable >.<

Oh wow, he is so precious!

how big is he? I'm wondering if he's as tiny as my little Beau.

(sorry, everything is automatically a 'he' to me)

I am looking forward to lots of pictures. Great looking fish.

That's a tiny cutie! Congrats! :clapping:

Edited by ShawneeRiver

Aww s/he is a little cutey.

Lovely colouring.

And boy I absolutely love your 'chu!! :)

aww :) what a cute tny little guy/gal :) congrats on the new addition :) Thanks for the pics of your other ones as well ;) They are looking good :)

Ooh very nice! My ranchu was 25$ which I thought was overpriced but it was worth it!

haha the spirit fingers pic! you should name him/her Sparky the Choreography...

such a cutie, congrats on the ryukin !!.... :clapping:

His body is about the size of a penny! I can get some comparision shots later.

Thanks for the lovely comment guys! I always refer to him as a male so until I discover otherwise! haha

His body is about the size of a penny! I can get some comparision shots later.

Thanks for the lovely comment guys! I always refer to him as a male so until I discover otherwise! haha

That's how big Beau was when I got him! <3

It really is fun watching them grow from that size, amazingly. I was hesitant on even getting mine, but they had him in with a baseball sized fantail that was harassing him.

Just wait 'til his fins grow out and he first starts getting his back hump. You'll have to keep posting pictures. <3

That is one of the cutest, teeniest ryukins I've ever seen! :rofl The spirit fingers made me giggle. Congratulations!

Such a little cutie!

Just wait 'til his fins grow out and he first starts getting his back hump. You'll have to keep posting pictures. <3

Yea! I'm hoping they came from decent stock and that he develops nicely. Normally my LFS is pretty good so I'm really praying he grows up big and beautiful. I'm always hesitant to buy small fish because you don't know what they'll end up looking like. But I've been pumping him up with protien rich foods so I hope he grwos quickly!

What a little cutie tiny one...congrats!

Yea! I'm hoping they came from decent stock and that he develops nicely. Normally my LFS is pretty good so I'm really praying he grows up big and beautiful. I'm always hesitant to buy small fish because you don't know what they'll end up looking like. But I've been pumping him up with protien rich foods so I hope he grwos quickly!

Yeah, it is definitely hard to tell. Fish vary SO much even if they are the same breed. Beaus fins were already as long as if not longer than his body when I got him.

But I think your baby has a really god shape to him already. You can even already start seeing his little hump. c:

What a cutie!!!! I love tiny little fish :)

Awesome fishies! Really love the pearlscale!

Congratulations on the new ryukin! It will be fun to watch him/her develop.

Roosevelt is one of my all-time favorite pearlscales. If I ever see a chocolate at the LFS, I'm going to snap it up SO fast! :)

^thank you! He's currently my oldest goldie and has had the least problems despite being a pearlie. He still looks small in comparision to the 30 gal he's living in but he's getting longer and much much rounder, he's easily clementine sized as far as roundness goes.(I'm actually curious now, I'll have to hold him next to one as we have some downstairs) I'm just so thrilled he's thriving so well after a few years and while his pearls aren't the best, they're still pretty decent for a fish his size, esp for coming from god knows what before he got to me!

I got some pictures of his size!

9e61d717.jpg

0cd42425.jpg

8b9deeea.jpg

He was less than enthused about the handling but I have to take him out since I'm doing a WC and he's so small I don't want to accidentally hurt him.I also got a few pictures of Roos in realtion to my hand. He's huge, and I was taking the picture with one hand and wranglng him in the other so they aren't the best.

1061d5af.jpg

c54a0367.jpg

8b9deeea.jpg

:heart :heart

is there a newer update?