Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mikeonthebike

My fish hang around the top of the tank alot

11 posts in this topic

Hi I just noticed that my fish are at the top of the tank gulping and then swim floaty and do not know why.

I checked my oxygen thinking that maybe this is the problem but it tested at 9ppm. I have a air stone at full speed.

Hi Mike, I'm going to move this to the Diagnosis & Discussion section. Could you please answer these questions for us? Thanks.

Test Results for the Following:
  • * Ammonia Level
  • * Nitrite Level
  • * Nitrate level
  • * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)
  • * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)
    Other Required Info:
  • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops?
  • * Water temperature?
  • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running?
  • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)?
  • * How often do you change the water and how much?

• * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change?
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size?
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners?
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often?
  • * Any new fish added to the tank?
  • * Any medications added to the tank?
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment.
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus?
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.?

• * Ammonia Level = 0
  • * Nitrite Level = 0
  • * Nitrate level = 10
  • * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) PH = 7.9, KH = 6, and GH = 8
  • * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) PH = 7.3, KH = 6, and GH = 8
  • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? API drop test kits
  • * Water temperature? 75°F
  • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 40 g this tank has been running about 3 years.
  • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? 2 Aqua Clear filters 70's. I have a bubble disk running at full speed.
  • * How often do you change the water and how much? weekly 50%

• * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? week ago
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size? 3½ in., 2½ in., 2½ in., 1½ in., and 2 in. I have 5 fish
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners? prime
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often? twice daily. gel, froz blood worms, froz brime, froz krill, nls pellets sinking.
  • * Any new fish added to the tank? no
  • * Any medications added to the tank? none
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment. They had a prazi treatment about 6 months ago. prazi pond plus.
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? none
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? After eating they hang around the top of the tank and then they get floaty. They are ok during the day.

Edited by mikeonthebike

is the floatiness only occurring after eating?

I see you are feeding several different things, have you noted increased gulping/floating following one type of food versus another?

We have noticed that most of the gulping does occurs after eating. They do gulp slowly though. I have tried the mazuri gel on the goldies before and they did get floaty. Tonight I gave them pea gel food.

Edited by mikeonthebike

Fish may gulp at the surface out of habit or because they can taste the film on the surface that food can sometimes leave behind. They may also gulp because they see their tank mates doing this, it's a nasty habit that can be difficult to break. The gulping itself can cause floatiness because excess air is swallowed up into the digestive tract.

You might try fasting them for a couple days then feed just spinach or green beans for a couple days after.

This sounds more like a behavioral issue than anything else. How long does the floatiness last typically after eating (do they regain typical bouancy before the next meal)?

Can I feed them a spinach only gel for a couple of days? I made a spinach gel from fresh spinach. There is no meat or anything except the spinach and gelatin. They do regain their bouyancy before the next meal.

Edited by mikeonthebike

Can I feed them a spinach only gel for a couple of days? They do regain their bouyancy before the next meal.

You certainly could, but is there a reason you don't want to feed plain spinach? I would personally just go for plain spinach because that way we eliminate the variable of the gelatin as a potential factor in the gulping/floating, but you could try out the spinach gelatin if you prefer.

I just find it easier to feed the spinach gel. My fish find it hard to eat spinach.

as long as you cook it very well spinach should be very easy for fish to eat. You can even break it up into small pieces for them before feeding it if they do not like to use a veggie clip :)

ok we can try that. Right now the lights are off and they are not hanging around the top.