Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jesswyn

Safe Objects to use to block somthing in tank

13 posts in this topic

Hey guys, its jesswyn with a question again (I feel like i'm going to get banned for posting so many topics...). I seem to be having a lot of problems lately. Anyway so I have a volcanoe ornament in my aquairum with a very troublesome hole at the side of it. It killed 2 fish a year ago and almost killed 2 more, by them swimming in getting stuck getting scared and dying. At first I blocked it up with gravel. Now I have no gravel. I used some filter floss to plug the hole (while keeping an airstone in there too) and it got gunky fast so I had to throw it away, that was today. Now I have a fish ornament laying infront of it with sand piled in the hole, while this works for now the sand will slowly fall out and ive seen these guys squeeze into amazing holes so the gap thats left is enough to make me uneasy. Is there anything safe that I can put in there for a long period of time that wont deteriorate or get too gunky and doesnt need to be held down in it (eg nothing that floats or is too small) I also now need to find a way to block off the TOP of the volcanoe (by putting something around the airstone) because today kimberly fought the bubbles and tried to swim inside there and scared the crap out of me, Currently I have a large airstone that broke today (just the tube broke off, i rinsed it in water, nothing comes out of it) but it has a hole in it, and I worry about still water that grows bacteria getting in there, so I need a solution for that as well. I know the easy thing would be to get rid of it, but it cost me 60$ and i've already thrown out about 70 bucks worth of ornaments this month, I dont want to loose anymore money :(

Heres a picture of the thing, fish are approximately 3 inches each, so might give some idea to how big it is.

http://postimage.org/image/bvy6n202r/

the hole is similer to this one, but slightly wider

http://www.wearepets.co.uk/fish/products_pictures/biorb-large-volcano.jpg

Edited by jesswyn

does the hole in the bottom just lead into the open inside of the volcano? Does the airstone tubing go in through that hole?

I'm not sure I understand what happened to the airstone? Can you explain again how that is broken? (maybe I am just being thick :P)

Haha hi again! yes the hole in the bottom and side lead into the volcanoe and up through the top, the problem being when the tubing and airstone are in there usually the middle is blocked, the fish go in, its dark, they get scared, they try to squeeze through back through the hole they came in and get stuck, and I wake up to a dead head staring at me from the volcanoe (Zacks face is forever in my memory :()

The airstone, well I had a smaller airstone in the volcanoe and a bigger airstone just hanging out, and after kimberly tried to get in through the top of the volcanoe, i decided to switch the airstones so there was less room to get in, turns out the tube was on the big airstone too tight and i couldnt get it off, i pulled and pulled and then pop, the lil plastic thing on the stone that you plug your airtube in popped clean off, and i'm left with a stone with a perfect round hole. I was switching the stones from the tubes due to one tube wont reach the side where the volcanoe is.

Sorry I have a hard time explaining things, I grew up in the bush downunder and didn't converse with the city folks much!

Edited by jesswyn

hmmm... I'm not sure how to fix the airstone.

For the volcano, the only thing I can think of is to use some aquarium sealant to 'glue' a piece of plastic over the hole. I am thinking you could use something like plastic craft mesh. You could also use the sealant to glue this over the top, but then I am not sure how you would get the air stone in/out.

Something like this:

http://www.beverlys.com/plastic-canvas-sheet-black.html?source=googleps&gclid=CNiz1YzQuLACFUOo4AodNjY_7w

Hopefully others will have better ideas for you! I have to say, I would probably personally just get rid of it. Even though it was expensive it sounds like it has been more hassle than it is worth, especially having lost a fish :( Any chance you could return it or sell it on ebay?

Well it was bought over a year ago, i'm not sure if someone on ebay would take a smelly used aquairum object, but if I have to throw it away I will. I was thinking along time ago about that glue, but it sounded expensive and I wasnt sure where to get it from, so I thought finding alternitives might be easier. Ill see if anyone has any suggestions first :)

Edit: so those plastic sheets are totally safe for the aquarium? Just making sure :)

Edited by jesswyn

My idea was immediatly what Tithra just posted, haha!

Use that plastic mesh stuff and glue it into the volcano. You can use it on the side opening, I would glue it to the inside with super glue, can also glue it into the top of the volcano as it will still allow bubbles to go up, but prevent fishies from going down. Gel super glue and those plastic sheets are both totally tank safe :)

As per the air stone, id just get a new one, their a pain to fix

yep super glue would also work. Both superglue and aquarium sealant are safe once completely dry. The aquarium sealant you can typically find at pet stores (it's not too expensive). You can also buy silicone sealant from a hardware store type of place but it has to be a sealant that contains no anti-mildew/mold agents or it can be dangerous. The GE Windows and Doors Type I is typically recommended here in the states, but I don't know what you guys have available to you over there :)

yep super glue would also work. Both superglue and aquarium sealant are safe once completely dry. The aquarium sealant you can typically find at pet stores (it's not too expensive). You can also buy silicone sealant from a hardware store type of place but it has to be a sealant that contains no anti-mildew/mold agents or it can be dangerous. The GE Windows and Doors Type I is typically recommended here in the states, but I don't know what you guys have available to you over there :)

Hey tithra! Just an update. I had 10 minuts today to run around my local petsmart and try to grab everything I needed that I could think of. I got more ceramic rings for my filter issue, I got a new lamp for the light issue, i got 2 air stones (one long blue bar one that works GREAT, and a large one thats in the shape of a roll of sewing thread) and grabbed some medium river rocks. I managed to wedge the sewing thread air stone into the middle of the volcanoe, put the river rocks at the bottom and baracade the entrance, and place smaller (but not choke hazard sized!) river rocks in the top of the volcanoe, and somehow the air still came through just as strong, and now my volcanoe is safe. Yay! If it didnt work I was going to definatly do your guys's way though :)

BUT, of course, because this is my life, I have yet another issue. SOMEHOW, Billy has managed to split his dorsal fin. I couldnt get a good picture, but it looks like this: diagram.png

thats my paint skills used on a drawing of a common.

I'm noticeing alot of pushing and shoving, and some chasing, might be spawning behavior. I tried to get a video but they stopped when I got the camera out. Ill try and record some tomorow.

Is this caused by an injury or disease? I might post this in my current thread about the random bottom sitting, but thought i'd ask you first incase its nothing to worry about. Their tank is salted to 0.01% as instructed by dnalex for the bottom sitting, would this be enough to heal his dorsal? Feel free to yell "Leave me alone girly! Theres other mods ya know!" If your busy :D

Edit: just as I posted this I tried again, got a picture this time:

splitfin.png

Edited by jesswyn

lol. no worries, I'm happy to help when I can. The rip in the dorsal should heal just fine, and the salt will help. It will also help to do some extra water changes throughout the week if you're able. Puff had the same thing happen to his dorsal last month and it healed within 1-2 weeks on its own. It is more than likely just a physical injury, probably due to the aggressive behavior you're seeing in the tank right now (which as mentioned may be breeding behavior). Keep an eye on it, if it begins to look red or is not healing post in your D&D thread about it :)

I'm glad you figured out a solution for the volcano! :)

I moved your other questions to the food section of the forum (by starting it as a new thread), because they are good questions and it will be easier for others with the same questions to find if it is in the food section ;)

Ahh ok, ill start defrosting only a couple days worth then :) and ill grab some fishing twine. Thanks again!

Edit: oh ok, thanks for the move!

Edited by jesswyn

no problem ;)

You can get 100% silicone rubber in a tube for about 4 bucks at Wal-Mart. Same size tube is like $8 at Petsmart.