Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Neil D

Cloudy Water help

14 posts in this topic

Hey guys,

This is the first time we've ever had a tank this big 40g. So I filled it saturday after cleaning it and put in dechlorinator. I put the Marineland Penguine 350 filter in and it's been running since then. There's nothing else in the tank.

I plan on seeding it with substrate/filter media from my already cycled tank for an insta-cycle. It's now cloudy. Will this dissipate after a while, like once I put the fish in?

Thanks.

It's likely to be a bacterial bloom.

When you cleaned it, tou only used water correct?

Did you rinse the penguin cartridge? Its strange to see cloudy water in a tank with nothing in it.

No, I had cloudy water in the beginning when I cycled my tanks, and it has happened every cycle. Like Alex said, it is most likely to be a bacterial bloom so it should clear up on it's own.

Yeah it's gotten a *little* clearer. I also just put an air stone in. (finally got a quieter pump)

Oh my mistake I thought you hadn't added the seeded media yet.

It seemed strange to me that a brand new filter and clean aquarium with nothing in it could create a bacterial bloom.

The bacteria bloom when there is an vast food source (unchecked ammonia in an uncycled aquarium). So if everything were new, and you had not added seeded media or dosed amonia, I wouldnt' expect to see a bacterial bloom.

In my personal experience, a bacterial bloom can happen even with a seeded filter. It makes the tank unsightly for a while but it's all part of the process :)

Edited by horserider36

Yeah, I just wanted to make sure. My 10g did this too at first, but I've never set up an aquarium this big before.

Alright, sorry to bump this thread,

but it's been two days since the water really got cloudy. I decided to go ahead and put the gravel in, and it looks nice. I soaked the gravel for ~34 hours in dechlorinated tap water at room temp, so that's fine. The water isn't really any cloudier, but hasn't gotten too much better. Would a ~50% water change help?

Edited by Neil D

A water change certainly doesn't hurt :) If it is a bacterial bloom it may take awhile for it to settle down.

Do you have Carbon in the tank? Just wondering :)

Yes I do. The filtration system is a Penguin 350 (biowheel) there are two filter "cartridges" with carbon in them.

Yes I do. The filtration system is a Penguin 350 (biowheel) there are two filter "cartridges" with carbon in them.

Its better not to have the carbon in the filter as after about 24-48 hours it starts to leach back into the tank :(

So If you can take some scissors, cut the bottom end of the filter floss so that the carbon can be shaken out :thumb:

Wait...what? I've never had this issue, and I've used carbon in all my tanks. Of course I rinsed it off in cold tap water before I put it in.

EDIT: do you mean chemicals leach into the tank or carbon finds its way back into the tank?

Edited by Neil D