Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Review of Prime By Seachem

Peterlock

PRIME.jpg

Just about every major manufacture and boutique specialty company has a water conditioning and treatment product.

I can't say I've tried them all, but close too it. Some products have at the least, minimal effectiveness while others can be potentially dangerous.

An example would be Stress Coat which has binding sugar strands in the Aloe. This isn't a problem unless one of your fish has a small scratch or wound. The sugar feeds the bacteria which can lead to major infection and dire consequences.

I've been using Amquel for years and it's a fine conditioner, excellent at removing chlorine, and Chloramines, but like all of these products - they come with limitations.

Well, with one exception and that's Prime by Seachem

.A few months ago, I decided to give it a try, and haven't looked back since. Prime doesn't just remove the chlorine and Chloramine it does much more:

* Detoxifies any and all heavy metals in your tap water

(you can contact your water company directly for a list of them and PPM)

* Neutralizes Ammonia

* Neutralizes Nitrite

* Neutralizes high Nitrate to non toxic levels

* Removes toxic gases

* Will not foam or change PH

* Helps regenerate natural slime coat

Since using Prime, I've seen improvement in all of my fish. In 2010 one of my tanks was hit with the dreaded and rare Toxic Tank Syndrome (see horror stories) within 48 hours I had lost nine gorgeous fish - except for one survivor, a single Broad Tail Nymph.

Since that ordeal, "Roxy" became a bottom dweller spending most of her time laying in a corner. Treatments were conservative, but nothing worked.

After my first 50% water change using Prime her behavior began to improve.

Now she swims among her tank mates, her color is a gorgeous deep velvet black ( they have such tiny scales they look like velvet) her appetite is ferocious - she's the picture of health (knock on drift wood)

In fact I see improvements in all my fish and in every tank

There simply isn't anything like it, Prime is hands down one of the best things you can do for your fish

In addition to the outstanding, patent pending formula of Prime - it couldn't be more economical to use.A single 500 ml bottle treats up to a whopping 5,000 gallons of water. A tiny bit goes a long, long way.

It should also be noted that in times of emergency the dose can be increased five times, Prime is harmless to fish.

It's the only product of it's kind, and towers above any other water treatment on the market - period.

I would urge anyone to add a bottle of Prime to your arsenal of fish care products - Your finned friends will thank you for it.

Did I mention it makes a great Martini?

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

User Feedback

We love Prime :)

And there's probably a dozen or so reviews on here already Ha!

I love my Prime, even if it is stinky :)

Yep, like sewage! I think I should stop dabbing it behind my ears.

Seahem has a new filter media called Purigen - I just ordered a jar this morning. I was impressed with the claims made by Seachem and the reviews I read - if anyone has been using it I would like to hear any opinions, results etc.

Here's a link:

http://www.seachem.c...es/Purigen.html

After I give it a test drive I'll post a review, so consider yourselves warned - it's also on sale. I bought a 500ml jar usually $45 for $27 - at of course, Amazon :)

It sounds like amazing stuff.

Edited by PeterD

Share this comment

I saw that stuff in the Drs. Foster and Smith catalog, 1 liter for $50.93. Which according to that site will treat 1,000gal of water. Interesting but I'm not 100% sure how you use those types of filter media. I'm used to just popping a sponge in the filter box and being done with it, lol.

Share this comment

love my prime too :)

Your fish are so cute I love their names especially Iggy and Ollie..usally I a name comes to right away..but I still haven't named my new Oranda...I call him Calvin sometimes so maybe that's it but I just might have to steal "Ollie" from you.

Share this comment

Peter,I'll be interested to see what you think about the Purigen-my pond is going to need to be re-cycled and it may be useful.

Share this comment

Peter,I'll be interested to see what you think about the Purigen-my pond is going to need to be re-cycled and it may be useful.

Kukana, I just came down to track a package that has a jar of Purigen in it - it's due sometime today and I'll add it to a some filters. Most every review I've read has been really positive. I have a friend whose been using it for quite a while , since it came out. She swears by it. I'll keep you posted...you know you're a little crazy when you get this excited about filter media. :)

Share this comment

I love prime :) The water conditioner I used to use was ridiculously overpriced, but prime is so cheap plus it is a lot better, and lasts a lot longer. Seachem makes great products!

Share this comment

I wouldn't trade my seachem prime for anything!

Love it, love it, love it... Don't care bout that smell either! :)

Share this comment

I have a few closed brand new bottles of Prime sitting in a bag in my room, Makes me freak out every time I smell the smell and think something fell behind my shelf and is rotting, wait nope its just the prime *gag*.

Though Amazing, I've read in too high of a dose, prime depleats the o2 content of the water, so just be sure not to OD the fish tank with prime ;) Nevermind I think the fish would be upset that their water smelt really bad.

I purchased 250ml of Seachem purigen last weekend and have started using it in my SW tank. So far so good, nothing bad has happened. You do have to be careful about what type of media bag you put it in as the purigen comes in very small beads. Their almost sticky, staticy? Plus I like how it can be recharged by a simple bleaching vs Carbons inability to hold toxins for very long and potential to release them and nuke your tank. If it works well with the SW, I hope purchase a 1L jar of it and swap all my tanks over to it.

Share this comment

Calamity, all water conditioners take oxygen out of water. It's not something specific to Prime.

Just make sure you follow the recommendations by the manufacturer, which is is that it is generally safe to dose up to 5x in emergencies, and when the temp is in the 80s, to use only a half dose.

Share this comment

Calamity, all water conditioners take oxygen out of water. It's not something specific to Prime.

Just make sure you follow the recommendations by the manufacturer, which is is that it is generally safe to dose up to 5x in emergencies, and when the temp is in the 80s, to use only a half dose.

Wow, really? This stuff is great to know! Thanks for some more info, Alex!!!!!!!

Share this comment