koko

Ornaments

The only ornaments there should be in a goldfish tank is solid ones. Hollow

ones dont get air circlation in the ornament and you wind up with stagnat

water. This can result in bacterial infections, this isnt a possiblity if the

ornament isnt cleaned out at least twice a week, this mean taking it out of the

tank and cleaning it with some type of wire brush inside. I really stress this

to everyone. I had an ornament my self for many years and had three fish die of

dropsys before I really knew what was causing this in my tank and to my fish.

If you want things in the tank I do Strongly suggest natural things in there :)

Thank you:)

hollow.jpg

This is a photo of what I mean by hollow ornament.

This post has been promoted to an article

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

User Feedback

ok, I have a question. I have seashells in my tank and the only way to get them to sink to the bottom and stay (that I know of) is to turn them upside down and let them fill with water, But if what you say is true then I will have to take them out, which I would really rather not do. Is there any other way I could keep them down?

Share this comment

:angry: Not really thats why its a hollow ornament.....there not the best for goldfish.....

Share this comment

I think you could try completely filling them with silicone (the sort used to seal aquariums). Let them dry for a couple of weeks at least - probably a bit longer - and then pu them back in the tank: the solidly filled shells should now sink and will be safe - no hollows! One thing though: seashells are composed of carbonates.... be careful they don't increase your pH level. :)

Share this comment

Seashells are not good to use in a goldfish tank anyways, I would recommend getting rid of them. Seashells are ceramic, and ceramics can leach harmful chemicals into the water that can be toxic to your fish. They also raise the pH, which makes ammonia even more toxic to your fish. Here's my source: http://hubpages.com/hub/How-To-Set-Up-A-Goldfish-Tank

My advice is to go to a local pet store and see if they have any decorations made specifically for fish tanks that suit your taste. They might even have fake seashells you can put in there that won't be harmful for your fish.

Share this comment

Sea shells are okay in tanks. If they are washed really well. Any sand or soil that comes in with them can contain deadly parasites so washing and rinsing goes without saying.

They do increase pH yes, which for many people is a good thing as dropping pH is a leading cause of fish death for many people. They are organic (made from the earth) and are composed of an outer hard shell which is shiny and called conchiolin. Its a natural protein. The central layer is calcite and the smooth inner layer is the natural buffering component calcium carbonate.

Share this comment

I've used seashells in my tank for a few years now. I collect them locally and boil them for 15-30 minutes to make sure anything organic is killed off. I have very low kH so they serve the double purpose of buffer and ornaments, even though they do dissolve after a time.

Another tip for hollow ornaments is to drill a hole in the top and insert an air stone. I have done this in my tropical tank for this ornament.

IMG_2774.jpg

But I still don't use hollow ornaments at all in my goldfish tank, I'm just too weary of bacteria with the big guys.

Share this comment

I had two ceramic ornaments that I was dying to use in one of my tanks. They're very cute mermaids (I loves me a tacky tank).

I filled both ceramic ornaments with dry aquarium gravel, then cut small squares of plastic from a CD case and, using aquarium sealant, glued the squares to cover/seal the holes. So the ornaments are weighted down by the gravel, but no water gets inside. It's working out extremely well.

Share this comment

I have done similar. I have filled hollow ornaments with gravel, then put a thick layer of hot glue on that. Once it sets the hot glue does not allow water in, the gravel weighs the ornament down, and the plastic the glue sticks are made of is harmless.

I have a hollow triceratops head in my tropical tank right now, and I have a bubble stone inside of it. Makes it kinda cool to see the bubbles coming out of his mouth. :)

Share this comment

Does low Kh = hard? I've very hard tank water. I didn't realize seashells would help to buffer that! Most of ours are now disintegrated, but I'm going to go look for more (mega-overpriced I'm sure, being landlocked in Ontario). Thanks

Share this comment

I have two rock caves and they are hollow...but they have little holes in the top of them. when i do pwc's i take them out and all the water comes out then when i put them back in the inside fills with water and water comes out of the holes on the top. is this still bad? if so i want to take them out immediately!

Share this comment

I have two rock caves and they are hollow...but they have little holes in the top of them. when i do pwc's i take them out and all the water comes out then when i put them back in the inside fills with water and water comes out of the holes on the top. is this still bad? if so i want to take them out immediately!

I personally wouldn't trust it. A cave ornament is fine if the actual CAVE is the only hollow area. But here too it should have at least two larger entrances/exits and be placed in an area where the inside gets good water circulation.

If the ornament has to be filled with water to stay submerged, then remove it. It is too easy to develop stagnant water and bad bacteria. It's just not worth the risk, IMO.

You can seal these ornaments off by removing it, emptying it, filling it with gravel or sand to weigh it down, and then close the holes by siliconing a piece of aquarium save plastic over it. I read people use parts of old CD cases to do that.

Share this comment

it might start floating if you just fill it all with sealant, because it's got nothing weighing it down. Fang suggested putting gravel or sand in (don't have to fill it all the way I don't think), just so it stays sunken at the bottom.

Share this comment

Just wanted to add to make sure the sealant is fully set/dried before you put it back in the tank. It can take a long time, but it's worth it ^_^

When the sealant is set/dry, it should have no smell. I made the mistake of filling something with sealant all at once, and it literally took over a month to dry. so if you're filling a large/deep space, I'd do it in layers at a time to cut down on the setting time.

Share this comment

Well I have took out my rock caves....looks so empty in my aquarium now :no: But its only temporary! And for a good cause too :clapping: Will my goldfish be okay for 3 or 4 days without their hiding places? :unsure: I have some fake plants in there they can hide behind.

Share this comment

Well it didn't work out :( There was cracks I couldn't see with my naked eye...and when I did a test submerge bubbles started appearing :( So now I am searching for something else to put in my aquarium. The sad thing is 99.99% of aquarium decorations are hollow. I was considering petrified wood...not sure if that is safe though.

Share this comment

I have a dragon with bubbles that come out the mouth. I put the airstone at the bottom of it so that the bubbles travel the whole way up. Is that ok?

Share this comment

yep, if there are bubbles running through it then the water can't be stagnant which will deter bad bacteria from growing :)

Share this comment

i have a large hollow skull in my tank... it is specifically for aquariums with holes for the eyes/nose & a large hole at the back so the fish can hide inside. i guess the place above the eyes is the part that has the least water circuation? i was thinking of drillings a couple more holes in it anyway. currently i run an airstone under the jaw so bubbles come out of the mouth but would like to run another inside the skull. currently it just creates a huge pocket of air when the stone is placed inside the skull itself...

Share this comment