Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

The amazing Pothos

number20121

As promised, here a couple pics of how I got my pothos set up in my tank.

Warning! This is NOT pretty. In fact, it is quite ghetto looking. I am sure I could make this look a lot neater with a different container, but for now it works and the pothos (the photo makes the plant look smaller than it is) keeps my nitrate very low considered it is an overstocked tank. Testing the tank water showed only 5ppm within 4 days after the last water change.

The container I used is this

pPETS-5818138dt.jpg

I drilled close to 100 holes in it. Carefully to avoid as much cracking as possible. It just hangs inside over the back of the tank next to a filter, with the plants sticking out.

Brown algae likes to grow inside the container, so every 2 - 3 months I simply take the whole thing out and scrub the inside clean.

My fish keep the roots short :rofl

pothos01.jpg

pothos02.jpg

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

User Feedback

awesome! I was waiting for this!

I might just put some in my overflow. Any idea how many nitrates they eat up per week?

ANother thing; where did you get the plant? And how did you make sure it didn't have pesticides on it etc?

Share this comment

Federica, I just bought them (it's actually two small potted plants) at a grocery store :D I rinsed all the soil off the roots an soaked them, and gently sprayed the plant itself down for a while too.

An overflow box would be a perfect thing for this. I was originally looking for an overflow box, but none of my local LFS carries them and I always keep forgetting to check when I am at Fintastic.

How much they eat up... Let me think... I used to do 80% water changes every four days to keep nitrate below 20ppm. I guesstimate in a week they are eating a good 20-30ppm?

Right now at the store I work at, they have HUGE pothos. Good 3x the size of the plant on my tank. I bet a big plant like that would eat 50ppm or more each week.

Edited by Oerba Yun Fang

Share this comment

I am totally going to get one!!! Let me check...

brb

okay so my overflow is about 6inches by 6. Could I get a big one on there? Then the leaves fall to the side of the tank right?

Any idea what it is called in German? I would probably have to order it at my friend's place.

It would be awesome if it took these darn tap nitrates down a bit! PLUS on the over flow side of the tank I have TONS of light! I am sure it will become a jungle ahahahha

Share this comment

These plants are so hardy. I have two giant ones in my house. People think I have a green thumb, but it's a trick -- I just have these "can't kill 'em" plants.

Fang, will they live in the water for a long time? Has yours grown? Also, I wonder if a plant like this takes out more nitrate than a plant in the tank, like a fast-growing hornwort.

Share this comment

Thanks for this.......i had 23 moss balls & 10 anubuis plants & 5grams of java moss in my aquarium .....and i still couldn't reduce the nitrates down......was told to try houseplants

so i'm gonna give this a try.....

look what i found

Pothos, Water Lettuce, Azolla

Share this comment

Great idea and I agree that it would be a great tip of the month. Some other plants that will live for a really long time in water are pilea/aluminum plant, sweedish ivy, wandering jew. They are pretty low light plants so they would do pretty well almost any where. I don't know if they would suck up as many nitrates but you can just cut stems off a plant take off lower leaves and put them in water.

Share this comment

Golden Pothos (Devil's Ivy) will root easily from the leaves. If you look at the undersides of the vine directly below the leaves, you'll see a root node. You can cut off the part of the vine the leaf is on, and pot it up, keep it damp, and you have new plants. Trimming the vines will also keep them bushier - less long and leggy.

I threw a piece of it into my pond filter and it's growing like mad! It does real well with its roots in water.

Your plant looks so pretty on the tank! Good job and great idea! I'm going to do this - I've got tons of the stuff outside!

Share this comment

I put a small pothos from Lowes in my filter during the summer. It grew like crazy and I became concerned about the fact that the roots reached down to the impeller. So I took it out, put it in a larger pot with the roots anchored by a few pieces of lava rock, and hung the pot on the back of the tank.

Here are some pots hanging.

DSCF0199-1.jpg

This is the original pothos now. I got it in a two inch pot, with a total vine length of maybe 6 inches.

DSCF0200-1.jpg

When I tried to take the plant down it wound up on the floor, so I took a picture of the pot to show the S-hook.

DSCF0201-1.jpg

Here's the plant on the floor, showing the roots and the rocks in the pot.

DSCF0202-1.jpg

There are no roots outside the pot. I expect some grow out but my poor hungry little fishies eat them to ward off starvation.

Share this comment

There are no roots outside the pot. I expect some grow out but my poor hungry little fishies eat them to ward off starvation.

well, its a good thing you put those plants in there then :rofl

Share this comment

I've been using pothos as aquatic plants in my aquatic herptiles such as Mata mata , Pipa pipa , and Lungfish tanks for awhile ... It loves the ammonia and nitrates the animals produce . Some of my turtles have munched on them and it's non-toxic . I'm not sure if goldies eat them .... I should try them ..

Share this comment

Thanks for the pics. I'm for sure going to try this.

I've had pothos that grew for years in my powder room that was windowless, just the room lights and they weren't even lit all that much..

They're super easy to cultivate, but I never would have thought of this use.

Share this comment

I had tried this months ago, in an extra AC 30 I had. It worked on the nitrates and I only had a couple sprigs of the pothos in there, but the roots got fuzzy/mushy. But that whole plant didn't do well...even in a pot in the kitchen. It was not a good plant. I may try it again. I think having in a basket like this works better. :) Looking good Fang!!

Share this comment

My plants are still doing fine, they even grew some although this area doesn't get much light. It gets great light in the morning hours, but from about noon on for the rest of the day it is a bit more dim.

I am planning on getting that large pothos I mentioned before, and moving the small one into the teles tank. That tank sits right next to a window. No direct sun light but very bright still.

I don't know if the pothos sucks up more nitrate than aquatic plants, but in my case, aquatic plants don't last long with my goldfish :rofl

Here with the pothos they do like shakaho's fish: the little bit of root that sticks out of the holes is being nibbled off constantly. Especially Spicey has developed a love for them :D

Fede, I find as name "Efeutute". Sounds kind of funny to me, but I switched to google.de and searched for Efeutute, which got me 76.100 web results including this wikipedia entry http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Efeutute

So I guess that is what you call this kind of plants :)

I also have a couple stems in my betta tank, and the roots are getting super long. The other day I had to cut the root out of the sponge filter, it started growing into it :rofl

Share this comment

Pothos? OVERRATED. The best plant I have used? Arrowheads. Blow pothos out of the water.

1114111607.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I also have a Hosta ( I think it needs alot more light, past 4-5months havent gotten anything out of it yet.

Pothos, grow, but not like the arrowheads

Lawn grass, yes grass I added it 4 weeks ago, doing great so far.

Spider plant, Been in for a long time, doesnt like twin 48" t8 lights. IM gonna trash those soon.

Wandering jew. Stole a 2 leaf clipping from home depot, finally taking off.

Tiger lilly (from your garden) so far so good

I tried your regular outdoor fern, shot up 1 new leaf then died

Mint, got it, they love it, but need more light as it gets leggy

Maple trees, tried it, maybe not enough light then kinda did nothing, but the root structure did grow.

Calla Lilly, eh not so much, either not enough light or they are very slowly dying

1127111341.jpg

1127111342.jpg

1016111633c.jpg

1016111634a.jpg

Canister filter fills up at one end, then dumps back into the tank at the other. If I dont go crazy in feeding during the week, my nitrates stay at about 5. If I am generous Ill hit a 15. Yes I still read nitrates with all those plants, but big fish need lots of plants. My 15" koi doesnt help. Filled with lava rock, so it serves as bio media and nitrate machine.

Share this comment

The tank is 6' long, the container is 5.5' long and 15" wide and 4" tall to give you the size of it.

Every 6 months it seems I am building a bigger container, this one was built 2 months ago I would say. I have another container in process but me being lazy and cold outside is making it take longer to build. I should stop making excuses and go to the garage and finish the wood part. The one I am building is possibly the "final" one for this tank and not a temp as all of these were.

Left to right, Hosta, Grass, Arrowheads, piece of wandering jew and pothos are in that mix, then goes to some tropical home depot plants, tiger lillies, mint plant then spider plant. Then dumps back into the tank. Up above is a twin t8 48" shop light with 6500k bulbs.

fullshotx.jpg

Share this comment