Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Rocks

emmahj

Very simple test - put a few drops of ordinary vinegar on each. If the vinegar fizzes or bubbles on any of them, don't use those. Those are the ones that will change your pH. The other rule of thumb is the darker the rock is, the safer it is. :)

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

User Feedback

also rocks that have glittery stuff in them are not recommended; they can lower your ph under certain conditions :P

Share this comment

also rocks that have glittery stuff in them are not recommended; they can lower your ph under certain conditions :P

Are you talking about granite rock?

:)

Share this comment

Safe rocks are Crystalline Quartz, Granite, Jade, Lava rock, Jaspar,

Onyx, petrified Wood, Quartz, Slate.

Unsafe rocks: Coal, Coral, Dolomite, Fools Gold, Fossils, Limestone,

Marble, Sandstone

Some of these that they list can be used in the tank - but they will

change your water parameters so you need to know what you are doing.

In general, sedimentary rocks are not so good, igneous are fine, and

metamorphic are usually OK.

White vinegar added to the surface of a rock will "fizz" in a "unsafe"

rock. In a conglomerate - test the rock all over.

http://www.uniquaria.com/articles/sr.html

Share this comment

I have no clue what kind of rocks mine are, but ive used them for years without problems and the rock never broke down either. They arent sharp either. oh is rocks made of glass ok? one of my rocks looks like that, its clear with a bluish tint

Share this comment

Glass rocks or nuggets are fine - as long as they don't have any sharp edges - because glass is totally inert. :)

Share this comment

Guest martinez14pr

Posted

i bought a "natural rock" (at least that's what they called them at the pet store) to raise my calcium levels for my mystery snail. ( i read that they need natural calcium in the water??) the guy at the pet store told me it would raise my pH about 2 points. I have a black moor in the tank as well, and so far i have had it in there for about a month now, and nothing really bad has happened. my goldie had a scrape on his side, ( i think the rock is sharper than others) but it healed faster than normal and he's been fine. any comments/concerns about that?

Share this comment

You might want to ask your question in the snail section. Any idea

on what the rock actually is?

Share this comment

Any chance of a pic? Or if needed, you can email it to me. Know

any geology instructors?

Share this comment

Guest Georgie

Posted

I have just bought a lava stone budda to place in my tank and just to make sure it was safe performed the vinegar test and it fissled. Should I risk it?

Georgia :wall

Share this comment

Using lava rocks in goldfish tanks generally isn't recommended.

Being a sharp scratchy rock, they can easily hurt your little

fishy friend. So it's better to be safe than sorry. ;)

Share this comment

for my rocks, I just went to a river down by my house and gathered a few rocks from there...rinsed them off...boiled them...cooled them off in dechlorinated water...placed in my tank during the next water change. My fish love them, i set them up like a volcano and have my air stone in there...its mount wanna-take-a-tinkle. dont nkow what type they are..but i nkow they are fine for the tank, no pH change or anything.

Share this comment

MARTINEZ - i too have a natural rock in my tank, (and a snail, AND a black moor! :P ) it never raised my ph either

My rock doesn't fall apart at all, (?) wonder if you have the right kind of rock (lol or if i do!) it helps my snails a LOT...

as for my fish, i filed any sharp edges off of it so she couldnt' hurt herself :)

lol bueller....bueller....bueller....

Edited by little_black_fish

Share this comment

has anyone tried using pea gravel? it's often used for landscaping, it's a mixture of small dark rock... but they seem to have kind of sharp edges, i was just wondering if anyone has tried using it and if they've had any problems with it. oh yea, i believe that the use of lava rock would probably not be a good choice because it is porous, the fizzle is never good either :P

Share this comment

I'd like to add river rocks to my tank - I've learned everything I need to know now from this thread if I want to find a river and collect some myself - but I've found some really cheap "polished river stones" at a store near me (only 99p/bag) - it's NOT an LFS - and it says on the pack that the stones are for terrariums and making potted plants look nice, etc - is there any reason to believe they wouldn't be safe in my goldfish aquarium? The look A LOT like the expensive polished river rocks my LFS sells!

I'd be interested to know what you guys think...

p.s. Mark - the gravel in my aquarium was sold to me labelled "pea gravel", but it's not how you describe it - it's smooth and light coloured! :)

Share this comment

Mark:i have pea gravel and it is like some diffrent sizes of rocks ranging from almost black to almost white i really like it a lot and it gives the tank a natural look.

Share this comment

I'd like to add river rocks to my tank - I've learned everything I need to know now from this thread if I want to find a river and collect some myself - but I've found some really cheap "polished river stones" at a store near me (only 99p/bag) - it's NOT an LFS - and it says on the pack that the stones are for terrariums and making potted plants look nice, etc - is there any reason to believe they wouldn't be safe in my goldfish aquarium? The look A LOT like the expensive polished river rocks my LFS sells!

I'd be interested to know what you guys think...

Kim, that is exactly what I have in my aquarium. I got them at the dollar store...they are fine, just rinse them in hot water first, and then set them in the sun to dry...rinse them in cool water then put them in. (that's how I did it anyways) and they are pretty and the fish love to poke around them looking for food :D

Share this comment

Guest metallax

Posted

actually, pea gravel is all i use, and it's fine... my goldfish are big enough now where they suck it in and spit it out right away. they're good for cleaning the bottom :D all i did was just wash all of the dust and such off real well with water first...

Share this comment

i use river rocks i bought from the cheap shop becuase they looked alot like the ones at the petshop. i havent had any problems with them. I used them to make a rock garden in the middle of my tank :D

Share this comment

Rocks from the shore shouldn't hurt anything unless it was a porouse type of rock. Still, boiling and soaking would be in order! One doesn't know what might be lurking in a inclusion! :o

Also the tanish colored rock mentioned earlier in a post is most likely limestone. Limestone isn't as harmfull as most people think, it will bring up the ph and KH which is something goldfish/carp species like. A lot of Koi owners actually use crushed limestone in there filters or add chuncks into the waterfalls. Limestone is a source for calcium & magnesium! You can get the same effect with baking soda to raise the kh & ph. Another source is crushed oyster shell, aka chicken grit. :D

Blue rock is a no no, its generally copper based. <_<

Edited by Tamianth

Share this comment