I made gel food for the first time tonight. It turned out really well! I'm excited to see if the guys like it
Here's the recipe I used- its a halved and slightly modified version of Alex's. :
It made the perfect amount to last my two little guys for about 3 months or so. I was worried it would make a ton.
Gel food recipe:
- 6 tablespoons canned or bagged tuna (low sodium is best). Substitute: steamed fresh fish (weigh before steaming).
- 8 tablespoons baby food. I've used peas, carrots, and mixed vegetables. Substitute: 4 tablespoons veggies cooked and then puree with 1/2 cup spring or distilled water. (Do not use broccoli [gas] or spinach [interferes with calcium absorption in same food])
- boil 1 egg and use only the egg whites
- blend this together until you get a nice thick pur?e consistency.
- 2 teaspoons of wheat germ
-1 fish oil pill
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic
- crush pellets etc. to a powder, and mix together.
- in a pot with lid, add 1 1/4 tablespoons of agar to 3/4 cups distilled spring/distilled water and turn heat on high
- add the fish eggs mixture and stir slowly but well
- cover with lid and let mixture come to a boil
- once boiling, occasionally lift lid to stir mixture, and let boil for about 3 minutes.
- remove from heat
- in about 5-10 minutes, when mixture has not yet congealed and is warm but touchable, add powder mixture and stir slowly but well
Pour into baking pan. Leave at room temp for 1 hour. By this time you should see a very well gelled product. Cover with Saran wrap and refrigerate for 3-4 hours. Then, cut into 1/4 inch cubes. Separate and freeze on a baking sheet for an hour. Then Put into plastic baggie. Thaw before using. Thaw enough to feed only for 2-3 days max.
For maintenance, feed 1% body weight daily once or several times a day. For growth, 2% - 3% divided into 3-6 meals/day.
*please note: I didn't write this! Alex did! I copied and pasted his recipe and modified it to what I wanted to do. thanks Alex! I hope you don't mind.
If I remember, I'll post pictures later, and I'll tell you how the guys like it. Bert and Ernie are hungry! They only got spinach today, everything else makes Bert really floaty
Thanks for looking!